thielb's 82 Maxim restoration

... choke lever is not clearing the top of the gas tank -- I want to get rid of it ... The problem is rigging something that will pull and hold the enricher bar on the carbs ... Any ideas?
Belatedly, I have a "MacGyver" solution which might work temporarily, until you can find a proper mechanism to mount on or near the carbs.

If you cut the enricher cable off close to the carbs and cut away about an inch of the sheathing at the end, you could attach something to the end of the exposed steel cable to act as a pulling knob.
You could also attach a 2nd clamp to the steel cable which you could loosen and tighten in order to hold the cable out against the springs when starting but allow you to easily let the cable feed in once warmed up.

A couple of these might do temporarily - or permanently if you like the "MacGruber" look:

Attachments

• Split bolt wire clamp.JPG
    Split bolt wire clamp.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 186
  • wire clamp.jpg
    wire clamp.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
drove it 100 miles back to school today and shes still doin great! screamed past about 2 dozen harleys all in one go too :thumbsup: new bars and mirrors make the highway driving much more tolerable

Lou, i actually picked up a little something like what you have pictured on the right, gotta give it a go one of these days still though...should do the trick temporarily at least

Well, I let her go on Friday and sold it. On a new daily driver now more suitable for the GreenBay-Milwaukee commutes and two more new project bikes are already started. Unfortunately, the guy that bought it from me texted me today. He had bought it for his wife to learn on and apparently she wrecked today. Thankfully she came out okay but its a shame that all those hours of work cant be enjoyed by anyone now. Oh well I guess...:(

ouch... wrecking a bike two days after she bought it, she must be bummed

too bad for all the hard work yea. It was a nice bike.

Back