This and That

Exposed

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I figure I might as well start up a journal documenting my process and hopefully get some help at the same time from the seasoned riders. I'm new to riding and bikes so bare with me everyone and if anyone notices anything a bit odd I'd love to hear from them. I ended up picking up a '79 xs400 which was in fairly decent shape.

So my plans are to get the bike to look something like this while keeping it on a budget.
5zk745.jpg

So far nothing has been done to my bike except for general cleaning and getting idea's together of what and how I'm going to accomplish this.
A couple things I'd like to do is clean the carbs as well as possibly rejetting and synching them. As far as getting just new muffers would I still need to rejet? or would it be better to rejet if I'm planning on getting pods and a new muffer?
I also want to clean up some of the wiring and hid it a bit better than how it is currently. I'm also wanting to extend my swingarm a couple inches so I'd need a new chain or is it possible to extend my current chain a couples inches? If its not possible to extend how can I tell the length of the chain. Just browsing sites I come accross this, "RK 530x102 Standard Chain" and was curious how I could identify a longer chain. I'll need to snap some pictures and get them up as soon as it's nicer outside.

Hi and welcome. As our senior sage from over'ome is wont to say, you don't actually have it until we see a picture of it (or words to that effect) :wink2:

Setting aside the Forum initiation code for a moment, I am not too sure about adding new links to a partially worn chain. I recently had a chain break and it is both disconcerting and inconvenient. Some folks insisted that one shouldn't even put a new chain on previously used sprockets - that you have to replace everything at the same time. :shrug: So this segment of the population would not give you permission.

As to chain length, the only way I am aware is to count links. That's how they are sold - by gauge and number of links. My chain is a 530 which I think means 5/8" spacing and a certain width to fit the thickness of the sprocket teeth. I used a standard type chain (i.e., no "O"rings) since that's what they came with from the factory 30 years ago. The 530 chain was available in various lengths, starting with 110 links. I needed 101, I think. So, I removed some with a grind wheel, joined it up with the master link - et voilà!

first get the engine going, ignore all the fancy stuff for now.

then think about the stance and what you need to achieve this, then test and see what else crops up (clearance issues for one, then local road conditions- pot holes etc)

take it from there

@Lou ok thanks I didn't know it was sold by the link
@drewpy, thanks for the input that whats I'm currently focusing on. just wanted to get a general idea of the what some answer were to the questions I had.

As for the bike I found a seat which was in decent shape and wiped the bike down a bit. Going to be taking the carbs off this coming weekend for a cleaning and just ordered some of those carb holders to replace the cracked ones I currently have.

Back