Throttle cable issues ('82 maxim)

graphed

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the worn out throttle cable on my '82 Maxim.. I compared the new cable to the old and they're the same length, plastic cover and all. I routed the new cable exactly the same as the old.

The only problem is that SOMEHOW there is not enough slack, so when sitting properly in the throttle housing the cable is halfway engaged and can't sit in a resting position. There's about 5/8 between where it stops and where it should be. The threads were maxed out as well.
My only thoughts are that there needs to be more thread or I need to cut back some of the plastic cover so that it can allow for more of the cable to feed through past the stop. But honestly they're the same cable so that shouldn't be necessary.

Had a friend over who knows bikes better than I do (this is my first and while I'll get someone to inspect it before I'm riding I like to do the work myself if I can) and he was equally stumped.

Any thoughts or helpful opinions would be GREAT. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpg
    IMG_5316.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 186
Completely remove the cable. Then re-install it. Make sure it is wrapped the correct direction on the throttle tube. That is the only place I can think of right now where you may have gone wrong.

Hmmm... Will check this out tomorrow and get back to ya. My friend seemed to think it was correct but I'll play around with it and double check everything. Cheers :)

Back