Tightening the chain

C41n

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have searched and there is surprisingly no thread dedicated to tightening the chain. I am not much of a mechanic, in fact I have doing any work on cars. Never done anything to my maxim except ride her. My chain is loose, and I need it tightened though. Cannot afford to pay someone, so that leave me.

I looked on youtube for a video on this, and most of the ones I found were for much newer bikes. Anyone have a video they can share that shows the process on our bike? If not, a picture tutorial? I know about nothing on what is what on a bike, and being able to see it would really help me do this safety.

My bike is my daily driver, and I super need to not screw this up! :D

Also, what should I use for chain oil? I have white lithium, is this safe to use?

Last edited:
Make sure you are looking at the dohc manual (2nd one). Pages 2-35 - 2-38 give a very detailed step-by-step.

It's nerve-wracking the first time, but if you take your time and read twice before each step, then a 3rd time before the next step, it should go fine.
As long as you are careful to compare the hash marks on both sides to ensure that the wheel is aligned properly, and you torque to 75 ft-lbs, all will be well.

And remember NOT to over-tighten thinking that doing so will give you longer until the next adjustment. I wish it worked that way but you really do need the amount of slack they recommend.

Damn, I must have the wrong manual then. It says Yamaha XS400 J. Does not mention anywhere dohc or otherwise. It also does not match your page numbers. Entirely wrong format for the page numbers. I will have to use the link above.

How do I measure 75 ft-lbs torque. Do I need a special tool?

I just charged ahead and did it. It was really easy surprisingly!

Don't have a torque wrench and I am broke atm. So I just tightened it up looked at it, realized the cotter pin hole was blocked, backed off a bit and dropped the pin in. I may go to an auto parts store and borrow a torque wrench to make sure it's right.

Thanks for all the help!

STOP!

When torquing hardware like the castellated nut on the rear axle bole, you tighten to spec (75 lb/ft), and if the hole doesn't line up with an opening in the nut, you TIGHTEN the nut enough just to line them up.

Never loosen to get the hole to line up, or you will be below the torque spec and bad things may happen.

speaking of torquing the rear tire to 75lb is that the same for the front should be @ 75lb/

edit confirmed 76 in the manual

Last edited:
The proofreader must have had too much sake on the bullet train that night.
It's 75 ft.lbs if you are adjusting the chain and 76 ft.lbs if you are replacing the wheel. :laugh:

I just use a ten inch Cresent wrench for the axles. A good firm pull on a ten inch Cresent wrench is about right.
If you don't trust it then a torque wrench is a good idea.
Leo

Ah, chain maintenance. A lot has been said about such. Here is what worked for me over the years. With the rider sitting on the bike, check in the middle of the run for about 3/4-1" of play. If you do it unladen (on the centerstand), it will be tight with the rider on. The best time to lube a chain is after a ride, when it is hot. Clean the crud off with kerosene/diesel fuel(stay away from WD-40, it has water in it) That last statement will bring on the arguments. Then use a top quality chain lube, or in a pinch, gear oil and atf mix. If you buy a cheap chain be prepared to adjust it more often. 400's aren't as hard on chains as literbikes, but if you spend a little more on a chain, it will last longer.(RK,DID O-ring) Replace both the sprockets and chain as a single unit. A worn chain will eat good sprockets and vice versa. Check it often, if you have to adjust it every ride, you need a new chain/sprockets. (don't ask me how I know) Use a torque wrench for the axle nut, and you will develop a "feel" for the proper torque. In a pinch, you can do it by feel, but torque wrench is best.

I tried tightening the the nut to spec my rear wheel wouldn't spin:shrug:So I tightened it down to the point where the rear wheel spin went a quarter turn more than slipped in the cotter pin.Everything seems to be ok.The rear wheel will be coming off again soon when I go to install my new rear tire,chain and front sprocket.So I can set it up properly then.

The thing with the rear wheel (at least on the SOHC) is if you don't tighten it up enough, when you brake, the wheel will get pulled off center causing the rear to track out from the front wheel line. Not fun, nor safe!! Ask me how I know. ;) So yeah, make sure it's tightened properly!

75ft lbs is really tight, without a torque wrench just put as much force as you can with a standard ratchet wrench.

I tried tightening the the nut to spec my rear wheel wouldn't spin:shrug:So I tightened it down to the point where the rear wheel spin went a quarter turn more than slipped in the cotter pin.Everything seems to be ok.The rear wheel will be coming off again soon when I go to install my new rear tire,chain and front sprocket.So I can set it up properly then.

Sound like something is put together wrong if you tighten the bolt and the wheel locks.

Back