Time to start a bobber build thread

This is a super cool build! At my age I don't want a hardtail, but if I was 16 that would be awesome! I'm keeping the suspension on mine, but there's no denying how cool that looks.

This is a super cool build! At my age I don't want a hardtail, but if I was 16 that would be awesome! I'm keeping the suspension on mine, but there's no denying how cool that looks.

Thanks Rob. That's why they invented seat springs:D but to be honest with you I've never owned a bike with a full suspension system and I'm pushing forty. Just took my sporty bobber on a 500 mile trip a couple weekends ago and I held up fine with the help of a kidney belt:bike:when I ride buddies bikes I feel disconnected from the road and it throws me off my game :shrug:

I just don't get bobbers, to me it's just ruining a perfectly good machine, crippling it making it damn near useless for a show piece. To me junk is junk, no matter how cool it looks. I'm glad you all like 'em and nice work, they do look great, but to me it's just ruing what was once a perfectly good roadworthy machine.

I just don't get bobbers, to me it's just ruining a perfectly good machine, crippling it making it damn near useless for a show piece. To me junk is junk, no matter how cool it looks. I'm glad you all like 'em and nice work, they do look great, but to me it's just ruing what was once a perfectly good roadworthy machine.

Lol let's go for a ride and you can try to keep up:bike::bike: I never built no show bike. Hell I wouldn't even let my pinstriper pay to enter my bike in a show. But that's what I love about motorcycles once they're yours you can do what you want with them and for me the build is as much fun as the ride and my rigid gets rode hard daily

I love bobbers, but I would do a brat. A seat spring gives you what? an inch of travel? Not enough for me, but I absolutely love the look! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

You would lose sight of me around here in seconds, and you can try and take me up on that any time, but I guaranty you'd have a lot of problems with these roads. You'd be lucky if you could take it at all on some of these roads.

Lots of twists, bumps, dips, soft dirt, sand, and rocks in the road. Only a real idiot would bobber a daily rider around here, I've yet to see one.

Yeah potholes would kill you around here. Maybe in Utah without the winter freezes you do OK. My friend has a Triumph hardtail chopper that he NEVER rides. Looks cool as hell though! :D

I think we have got off topic here's the bottom line I build what I like and post it here to show what I've done because I'm proud of it. I sure didn't ask permission ( even from my wife) and I'll be damned if I will ask for forgiveness.
Robsteeler I never meant no disrespect to you and surely never got any from you. I thank you for all your comments and agree with you on the brat style bikes. Especially if your roads are crappy! To be honest I love all bikes as long as they are modified. Stock bikes are just transportation but still tons better than a cage!!!
Markjs you are also entitled to your opinions but when you come on here being rude and calling things junk and useless just because YOU don't get them I feel is ignorant!! And yes I got defensive. Maybe the roads around here are better than where you live and so to me I haven't" crippled a thing just built a few bikes as stupid and ignorant as I am:) after all all art has the soul of the artist.
Wow you know your in a rant when you type this much on your cell!! Now I'm done.
Well mostly ;)

Please feel free to comment on here about the bike I can even handle constructive criticism but i promise I will never talk $hit about any bike someone puts their time in to and would appreciate the same. IF YOU DON'T GET IT YOU NEVER WILL. and that's ok

Dude, you cut the neck and changed the backbone. Did you touch the lower leg or just the backbone? I don't tig so I probably won't do that, but I love the single backbone. Opens up a whole world of tank choices. You've done some great work there.:thumbsup:

You said you're gonna krylon paint it? Maybe you should look at this. I've been thinking about this myself in green.

http://www.rothmetalflake.com/rattlebomb/allinone.html

Dude, you cut the neck and changed the backbone. Did you touch the lower leg or just the backbone? I don't tig so I probably won't do that, but I love the single backbone. Opens up a whole world of tank choices. You've done some great work there.:thumbsup:

You said you're gonna krylon paint it? Maybe you should look at this. I've been thinking about this myself in green.

http://www.rothmetalflake.com/rattlebomb/allinone.html

I kept about 6" of backbone and sleeved it with the new one. Then kept the lower leg and bottom so I have both lower mounts. The rest is new. :D:D I have been looking at that Roth flake for my bike for a while but I think at $20 a can I can almost spray it with auto paint and flake for a little more $ and have a better product :shrug: and a little left over. But then I'd have to learn to spray on flake:yikes::yikes: then again I learned how to ride a bike on a 10 foot chopper I built and crashed and built and broke and fixed :bike: so it would be par for the course. Ads for this bike we will have to see where the budget ends up maybe we'll try the flake in a can. If you give it a shot let me know how it turns out

That will be the last bit I do. I want to get it on the road first and decide any modifications after I ride it for a while. I just like the looks of the flake. It reminds me of the new Harley's. They have a couple of colors of flake for 2013. I just figured that with the can I wouldn't need to buy anything since I don't have a gun or anything else. My buddy bought some for his Studebaker's roof. If he ever does it I'll take some pics.

a few updates from the weekend

made the seat bracket and attached twice:banghead:always make sure the gas tank fits before welding:wtf::banghead::banghead::banghead:

bottom metal tacked in place on the tank and filler neck fit in place then i ran out of argon for the tig:doh: the only bad part about using works stuff is you have to wait until they need it to get it filled:shrug:

the stainless oil tank was an ambient water warmer for a butt washer!!!!! my father was bed ridden for the last 16 years of his life and had it hooked to his toilet. now it rides again:laugh::laugh:

next up is a rear fender not sure if i can pull it off but heres how it looks as a before pic. I have a planishing hammer an old body man gave me and I built a few dies for it so im hoping to be able to make something that will work:shrug:

sure I could have gone to the mountains and gone camping this weekend but nothing beats a weekend in the shop whith the boy and a bike

Here's Bull milling out his pegs. they started life as 30 caliber stainless steel barrel blanks!! yes I love my job:wink2:

got one peg at 90% this is my first set of fold up pegs I've made 2 other forward controls but never swiveled them I think they worked out well

with pegs in place Bull just had to jump on an see how they felt:D:D he's getting excited now the main fab work is almost done

wow it's been a long time since I updated so i'll try to bring this thread up to date.

got the tank done and FINALLY sealed with no bubbles at 10 psi. so I bondoed it up and put some rattle can primer on it

BS wanted a sissy bar that swooped back and bent in the middle :yikes::banghead: does he know how big of a pain in the butt that is well he does now after three atempts we finally got one that came out just right:D

camera angle makes it look a little crooked but It lines up great

one last update the headlight that I gave my boy for X-mas 2 years ago for this build I really like It on the XS forks but when I put it in place with the beefy Buell front end It was way to small. but then I sat it low as in just off the fender and with the speedo in the original headlight spot I kinda like the way it sets so give me your opinion is it a little to far out there or do you think it works with the bike :shrug::shrug:

Back