Tire shopping

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So im sure most of you have seen my recent thread about buying tires from Tire easy.Very bad experience with this company.Operators who dont speak english well enough to understand either.
So I want to buy I guess whats called a value tire with good quality dual sport for the front size 100/90/19 .
Do any of you have any reputable stores online that you make tire purchases from?
Any helpful leads needed thanks for your time and patience.

Motosport.com!

I'm surprised there isn't much talk about these guys.
My experience, I ordered a new tail light. the lens got damaged in transit so I contacted them and they responded to my email in 10 minutes. Saying they were out of stock but he'll order one from the vendor and have it sent to me.
A week later I got a whole new unit and got to keep the old one. Incredible customer service, great shipping and decent prices.

On Ebay, I recently purchased a dunlop 100 90 18 front tire for $39
and 2 Continental 130 90 18 for $16 each. I should have bought more. After shipping I think they were around $34 ea. Heck of a deal for $140 tires. Look for discontinued model/style. I buy my car tires that way too and save tons of $$$.

There's a store called Dennis Kirk In Pine City Mn where they have a large warehouse. I bought a set of tires tubes and rim strips and other parts there for my little bike. I was happy but they're close enough that I picked them up. They have a web site and their phone center is also there. They speak English.

I went to amazon, then after seeing who they are working with, I went to 2 to 3 of their sites to see if there is a better deal, or one more locally located, to minimize shipping time. One of my earlier purchases, the customer support person, said, if I had ordered from them, they could do more for satisfaction, than what Amazon was limiting them, in my circumstance. of course I don't remember what I bought, I am sure Its marked on here in one of the many posts.

Good luck

...quality dual sport for the front size 100/90/19 .
Do any of you have any...

ijm looking for 100/90/19 since 90/90/19 is about impossible to find.

I am only correcting you since you've made the mistake 3 times in total so far in this thread.

You do not have 19 inch wheels. You're going to have a bad day if you order 19 inch tires, but on the up side they'll be really easy to get on :laugh:

I'm in the same boat. I need tires before I will ride my bike. I see a bunch of different sizes listed that aren't what's on my bike. When I search online I get only a couple of choices in the stock( I guess) sizes of 120/90-16 and 3.00 18. Sorry for the thread jack!

Oh I also see people on here saying they replaced both tires for under a $100. The cheapest I can find is about $120 or $130! Care to share some sources? Maybe there are alternate sizes I can search for?

Thanks!

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102455&postcount=5
Shinko SR735 Rear Cruiser Tire, Size- 110/90S-16
That's what I ordered from Amazon. Looks good, Hasn't seen a mile yet, Looks great, Someone had posted something that any bigger than 110, the tire may start to rub on chain guards. Also, I know like the super motorcycle superstore, they have arrangements with preferred installers, so they will ship the tire to the installer, and then you just get the bike there. then you just pay installation fee's. Since I did mine over winter, I just took the tire off, and drove it in, hoping to save some installations fees. the shop was done with it really quick, and had a preseason pricing. so I jumped and got it done.

I guess I just will need to pay a bit more than I thought. Thanks bcware.

arfstrom, I thought 120 was the stock size? That's what's on the bike now. Do you know if the 3.00 18 is equivalent to another size?

120 is stock for the models that come with 16" rear wheels.

If you have 18" rear wheels I would recommend going with 100/90/18 in the front and 110/90/18 in the rear; this will look MUCH better but might require the chain guard be bent/cut a tiny bit depending on the tire profile.

I believe stock for the 18" front/rear models is 90/90/18 front and 100/90/18 rear.

Be sure to pick up new tubes while you're at it. Even if you don't really need one it is nice to have a spare on hand. If you've never changed a tire before you have a good chance of pinching a tube during the install. So, be careful!

Stock tire size 77-82 sohc xs400 front 90/90-18 and 77-79 rear 110/90-18 80-82 120/90-16:)

BC I have rear 16 inch tire and beleive a 18 inch front.Stock size if I wrote it down correctly is 90/90/18 Gotcha thanks for correcting me.I have no idea how i got 19 inch.I had the size wrote down somewhere.I blame it on my early senialty:doh::laugh:Now maybe I`ll have an easier time finding the correct size.:thumbsup:

Thanks XsChris I had to go to my shop and double check this.Glad I got this corrected before ordering the tire.:DMaybe theres a darn good reason why my order didnt go through with Tire Easy.com.Somebody was trying to tell me something.

Is the rear really 110/90/18 stock? My original tires used the old measuring system, but the 110/90/18 rear I have on now is bigger for sure. Maybe it is just the profile or maybe the tires were not original though!

Back