tire size confusion

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Think it may be time to upgrade my tires. They don't look dried and cracked, but the DOT # says "468" which I presume they were manufactured in 98 or 88.

the back tire is 130/90-16. no problem.
the front tire - per manual says " "300S19-4PR" I assume that translates into a 100/90-19 tire.

Based on some limited research, is the Kendra Challenger still the all around economical best buy? Assuming a I find a deal on Craigslist... is it a problem to mix tire brands on front and rear - so long as they are both recent manufacture and both street tires?

Thanks

I like to not only match brands but models too. If you want to run the challenger on the rear, run one on the front.
Leo

3" = 76.2mm. A 90/90-19 would be the closest size, or a 90/100-19. There aren't many other options. Nothing wrong with using a 100/90-19.

I've got over 20k km out of the Kenda Challenger on the rear of my bike. It is almost to the wear bars now, but I'm hoping to get the rest of the season out of it. I load the rear of my bike more than most, with panniers and top box, in addition to my 200+ lbs. so I can't say anything bad about the tire. It is great on the street, and does what it is supposed to do.

I prefer NOT to mix and match tires, but if you are going to, make sure that the front tire is the better of the 2. Loosing the rear end can be recovered from. Loosing the front end will probably result in a crash.

Thanks. The 100/90-19 is the closest size that Kenda makes and it is the size on my bike now - so Ill go with that. Thanks

ok help! I have a 82 sj according to the vin. the tires I was told are original. the front reads "3.00 s 18 4pr" the rear is easy "120/90-16". im having problems finding a new tire. if I go but the tire size on the bike everywhere I look says its not a fit for the bike? does anyone know of a good replacement tire? or what might be going on?

Back