Tire Suggestions

52judeblacklightning

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 XS400SH that needs tires. Can anyone recommend reasonably priced tires, and where to look? I saw someone post that they liked Kenda K657s (for the rear tire). Anyone else know what fits, what wears well, what is affordable for that particular bike?

Is it a good idea to use the same brand for front and rear?

Thanks,
Jude

Just had a set of IRC tires installed today on my XS400. About $150 a set with free S&H when I bought them last Winter.

I like Shinko a lot. They bought the cycle/scooter tire division from Yokomaha and are pretty highly thought of by a lot of folks. Very good tire for not a lot of money.

My son has a set of Dunlop 404s, I think, on his '81 and is pleased with them.

Drewpy likes Bridgestone (I think) - forgot the model - for his XS.

I would recommend you buy the same make/model in front and rear versions. Don't mix brands and models. I have had experience with all three Chinese tire brands on scoots and on my '80 XS400. While they are OK, I prefer better. Made a world of difference in handling when I upgraded from the O.E. Kendas to Shinko on my 300 cc scoot.

Front standard size is 90/90x18. My bike came with a 100/90x18 when I bought it last year and my new IRC front tire is the same size. Some folks say that is 1 size too large but it seems ok. Rear standard replacement size is 120/90x16. Some go to a 130/90x16 but a few have had clearance issues with the increased width while others didn't.

Back