Title Issues

Under-powered xs360 Guy

Painfully bad at mechanics
Reaction score
I have a 76 Xs360 that was bought and registered in Colorado, but moved to California in 2019. Bike was sitting in storage for many years, and has been recently revived. However, I have no idea where to start on title processes and registration.

The Bike was used for many years in Colorado, but was parked. No title, no registration or insurance.

Help

If you were not the original owner then it's on you and why do people do this? If you don't even know the owner it's bad too, looks like you stole it.

There's a reason why the powers that be make that triple hard to do. You may have to physically appear in Colorado as proof it's not stolen.

Chase title first and look up the laws of both states. Don't be surprised if you can't afford it. I say that having done it in Texas, what a mess. And that only involved one state not two.

I am the son of the original owner. My dad passed the bike onto me, and it had no title due to its age.

Although I don’t own a pink slip, title or anything, I have enough information about the bike, however I have I have stuff tying me and my dad to the motorcycle. (proof of insurance, vin/fathers name on same piece of paper.

Well, you may be able to research it over that but jumping to another state greatly complicated the issue. Those people typically want you there in person to quickly move things. Other states typically want things straightened out in the state they were done in. California will likely tell you they are not even interested in talking to you until you get clear title from Colorado.

Proof of insurance in no way equates to proof of ownership, they should get that across to you pretty quick too. All that gives you is a name to do title research on.

Here in new York you need the last titled owned to sign it over. If the bike was made before 73 then a registration will work. If your father was the last registered or titled owner he would need to fill the paper work out to get it passed to you. Had this issues many years ago with a xs650 that was off the road for 20 years. Thank god I found and knew the last titled owner. It still cost me money but got it all figured out.

Why one needs to find out what the state wants, they are often different and the details are what kill you. Why I for one keep all titles in order and I do the same before I buy a vehicle, if title is not clear to transfer I forget about buying it.

Here in Texas they play a new game, it's called condense all the files to semi-erase anything not licensed in the last couple years and you better have clear title to it. If not they require you to now reclear every title you do not physically have of any liens, meaning you have to go to whoever loaned on the vehicle to reclear that lien, even if the original title was cleared, it's ridiculous. It's a way to clear some of the title clutter out of the computer files. You have to do that now to get a title reprinted if you lost it.

And yes, here the same deal, the previous owner must sign the title over to new owner and in some states in person or notarized. They just dropped that requirement here. It still has to be signed over though. Even father to son. Because every time it changes sales taxes must be paid.

Last edited:
Back