To Ship or not to Ship

Mannix

Mannix
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm still pretty new to being a motorcycle owner (got my 1983 Maxim XS400 for $575 a couple months ago). I've changed the oil and oil-filter, tried to install a fuel filter (it ended up breaking, I lost a tank of gas; the angle was wrong, I'll try again), I've recharged the battery, cleaned all the electrical connections (while trying to figure out why it wasn't getting power), apparently I need a new rear tire and some front fork gaskets to pass inspection.

Despite the minor headaches above it has been running great, and seems better than when I bought it; I think we are really in the beginnings of a good relationship :D

BUT, I am moving cross-country (Massachusetts to San Francisco) and I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for a good motorcycle shipping company? I found a few that have a base price around $700 but would be closer to $800 with taxes and fees.

2) Should I just buy a new bike out there? That would mean leaving my current bike to survive a New England Winter on my Mom's back porch, covered but not garaged. Sure, no shipping cost, but I would have to deal with costs of registering and insuring another bike, not to mention it seeming harder to get a cheaper bike that runs well out there.

Any advice folks? I've basically got to decide today.

1) Install the fuel filter. You say its running well now but it won't take long for rust and sediment from the tank to clog up the carbs.

2) Ship it ... unless you enjoy the tinkering with a new bike to get it into as good of shape as the old one, especially if you'll need transportation when you get to SF. Also, you'll probably be able to use the bike more in SF which you won't be able to do waiting for a good bike to come up in CL.

Sorry, I can't help you with a shipper but;

You don't say how you are getting out there but if you are driving any chance you can trailer it out with a U-haul?

This is the time of year that a lot of university and college students start moving for the new school year. A bit of a long shot but ask around and see if there is anyone heading out that way from your area that might want to share in some transportation costs.

If you decide to leave it at your mom's take out the battery, fill the gas tank, add gas stabilizer, tarp it good but not so good that it can't breathe, and see if mom will let you keep the seat in the house in case mice decide it would make a nice snack.

Mannix, Try to find someone else moving across who will add it to their uhaul and give them gas money. Don't leave the bike, they cost triple out here in CA, I'm from Mass as well, and the prices have risen in the boston metro area too. These bikes are getting scarce.

Back