Top End Ticking +more

JARichmond

XSively Addicted
Reaction score
Hey all.
I've had my XS licensed and road-worthy for the last couple of weeks, and have noticed a strange ticking coming from my engine just above idle as well as between 4k-5.5k RPM. After my last oil change, I started the bike and listened for the tick and I found it to be coming from my top-end. No idea where, but I'm assuming it would be my valves. I've got the information from other threads, I just don't want to make the adjustment and be wrong about the noise. Or worse, do any damage.

Additionally, I've been noticing my front brake to be slightly sticking to my rotor and is most noticeable when being moved under no power. It squeals like a pig in heat. Has anybody else experienced this and been able to remedy it?

I've spent months wondering about strange noises coming from the top end. All turned out to be just normal valve clatter. So unless it sounds like your bike is grinding up concrete cinder blocks in there, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, it may be time to adjust your valve clearances.

The front brake should stick just a tiny bit. If you can still turn the wheel with your hand without needing Schwarzenegger strength, it's fine. It is designed to drag a little, so that the rotor cleans and adjusts itself.

Back