Top end ticking noise - Should I be worried?

danisawesome

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So ever since readjusting the valves and getting everything working again, the right hand side of the top end has had a ticking noise. With a wooden dowel against the exhaust valve area, I can hear the ticking loudest at the upper fins. The bike sounds and runs great as far as I can tell (no backfiring, temps are even across both headers, feels strong), but I'm wondering if it is something I should be worried about.

You can hear the ticking in the following video:

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :thumbsup:

I'd redo the valves again, and use the closer tolerances. Make sure its a sliding fit and not the angle of the feeler blade causing the drag.

what weight oil are you using?

Did you only rotate the engine forward and make sure it did not go back at all? If it has a chance to turn back while you are adjusting it can throw off the settings. Make sure it goes in full rotation then stops at the adjustment points. Even going back a little then forward can mess it up. The first time I adjusted the valves this happened to me:doh:

I'd redo the valves again, and use the closer tolerances. Make sure its a sliding fit and not the angle of the feeler blade causing the drag.

what weight oil are you using?

I did set them a little loose last time because they were too tight from my previous adjustment, but i will definitely be getting in there again today. I use Castrol motorcycle oil and I believe it is 20-50.

Did you only rotate the engine forward and make sure it did not go back at all? If it has a chance to turn back while you are adjusting it can throw off the settings. Make sure it goes in full rotation then stops at the adjustment points. Even going back a little then forward can mess it up. The first time I adjusted the valves this happened to me:doh:

Oh wow, I was rotating the engine forward, but was having trouble getting it to stay at the mark once in place, so I would have to go backwards a little and try again. I will have to go and redo them today without backing when rotating.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I will be trying them out and will let you know if anything helped.

If you take the plugs out that will help. I use a jack at the end of the wrench to help keep the flywheel from moving and line up the marks.

If you take the plugs out that will help. I use a jack at the end of the wrench to help keep the flywheel from moving and line up the marks.

The jack did the trick! All of the valves were a little off, but the right side exhaust valve was super loose, so hopefully that will fix the problem. I didn't get a chance to fire her up yet, but I will be sure to post here and let you know if test did the trick.

Huge improvement! The ticking quieted down a lot and it sounded better. Plus, I actually got out and rode it for the first time ever today and it was great! Thanks for the help, guys!

Back