Translating tire size

derekgreen

Learning Process
Reaction score
So I have a few questions. My bike is an 82 heritage special sj. Front tire is 3.00-18 and my rear is a 4/60 s16. I know that the rear translates to a 120/90 s16 but im not sure if the front is 90/90 18 or if I can use a 3.25-18 and have that fit properly with no rubbing. I am keeping the front fender off. So I wouldnt have to deal with any contact on that. I guess im wondering width wise. I found a set I can get that match and fit but they arent the type I was hoping for. But if they are what I gotta buy then oh well. Just curious about the 3.25-18 fitting.

Thanks for any advice.

3" is 76.2mm. There are precious few tires made below 90mm width these days. That's life.

A 3.25-18 tire should fit without any problems. It's only 1/4" wider overall than the stock tire, which results in an additional 1/8" width on either side of the tire. Not even worth mentioning. Unless your forks flex from not having a brace on them. Which they will do if you are not running the fender, and don't install a brace.

Lots of 90/90-18 (stock size) front tires out there still being made. Like dave said, no fender or fork brace will hurt handling.

I had my forks rebuilt with a bit stiffer springs. To be able to manage the handling issue that not running the fender will cause. If thats not enough ill figure out a brace. So I could go with a 90/90 or a 3.25 and not have any major issues.

I think that would be correct, but you'll have to wait for a DOHC rider to be sure (or sohc? I'm not hip on the 82+ models and what is and isn't DOHC.) 25-0019 for DOHC 25-0017 for SOHC

Tarrozi designed them to clear the front fender, so I'm sure it can clear a wide range of tires.

Yes you should have the tubeless rims. If in doubt, it is marked 'tubeless' in the casting on one of the spokes

If you have cast wheels, you can run tubeless.

If they are spoked wheels like a bicycle then you need to run a tube and don't forget to get a rim band to protect the tube from the spoke ends.

Yes, 82 sj uses tubes. And it is alway a good idea to replace the rim band when ever replacing a tire.

So my front tire is tubbed and my rear tire isnt... should I just order a tube for the rear and go with that setup instead? I hear tubed is safer anyways as far as flats go. And they are the original rims so I know I could throw a tubless on the front if I wanted too. Thoughts?

If you have the stock spoked wheels they both should have tubes in them.

Is there a trick I should know about the size gor tube ordering? Getting a tr-4 valve type for both wheels front tube is 2.75-19, 3.60-18 and the rear is 4.00-s16, 4.60-s16. They are the irc tubes off of bike bandit.

You want 18" tube for the front, not sure if that was a typo or not. I used tr-6s. The rear tube is just under a 120 wheel, I would go up to the next size for the rear.

Back