Transmission or clutch issue?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
My bike makes a bad "clunk" sometimes two when taking off in first. I fear for first gear. Will be doing valves on the down engine this week. Anyone have any ideas?

When exactly does it clunk? When you press the shift pedal and it drops into 1st from N, immediately as you release the clutch or, after the bike has moved forward a bit?

When you take off in first, as if the clutch doesn't engage fully every time right away, or like teeth are not grabbing in first gear right every time.

Perhaps it was the chain or clutch because after adjustment (and the chain was loose) so far so good. Never had it hokey quite like that before though. Makes me nervous but as long as things are fine I'm happy. Just have to keep an eye on it.

how old is your oil? and does it happen when the engine's warm as well? Clutch plates might be sticky

Perhaps it was the chain or clutch because after adjustment (and the chain was loose) so far so good. Never had it hokey quite like that before though. Makes me nervous but as long as things are fine I'm happy. Just have to keep an eye on it.
Watch your chain closely for any sign of bunching on the back sprocket.

I had a chain break this spring and it might be better to spend $50 now than to spend it repairing what a broken chain can chew up.

well you've had too much luck with XS400's anyways, getting one for free and another for very cheap and all. Karma's a b*tch :p

just kidding, hope it turns out okay man!

Naw, so far it's a minor issue. Sounds bad, only did it once yesterday, so I think it might be the clutch. I did get major improvement when I adjusted chain slack and clutch cable. Remember that's at least a 14 year old clutch cable that had absolutely no lubrication or protection from the elements. I also used the clutch cover for the old engine, and the cable, plus the clutch rod seal on the first engine pukes oil like mad, not that that has anything to do with this. I suppose come morning I will look for the other clutch cable, it could just be a sticky cable.

... Remember that's at least a 14 year old clutch cable that had absolutely no lubrication or protection from the elements ... I suppose come morning I will look for the other clutch cable, it could just be a sticky cable.
Make the little "funnel" out of a plastic bag, seal it to the end of the disconnected cable with a tight rubber band and pour a tablespoon of oil in the funnel. Hang it up overnight, place a dish or a newspaper underneath for the flow-through and you will have a "new" cable. If the "funnel" wants to collapse, make a holder out of tin foil...

Back