Transmission Troubles

Old Mose

Daily Rider
Reaction score
The other day I was going to leave the house on my daily rider, couldn't find neutral, always in some gear. If you put it in 1st gear and ease the clutch out it kills the engine, even on the center stand. I did get it in neutral one time and I have a rattle coming from the engine sprocket area. My guess is it isn't coming out of some gear and when you put it in first it's in two gears which stalls the engine. I had put about 15 miles on it since I got it back together after my BIG wreck and all seemed well when I pulled in the garage the night before. Something to do with the shift forks must have broken is my guess. Do I sound like I'm on the right track?

I'm afraid it sounds like you are correct. Something is bent or broken. I'm leaning towards bent as you were able to ride it, but it got worse as it continued to bend.

Only way to be sure is to open it up and see.

check the clutch side first, clutch needs adjusting first and then check shifter drum before opening up the engine

Thanks Guys, I think you are both right. When I get time I'll remove the right side cover to see if the mechanism that turns the drum is in good condition. If it is, I'll try turning the drum to get it to go to a true neutral. When that doesn't work, I'll know what to do!

Thanks Wolf_11B, I have another complete transmission if I need it but that can be repaired with a lot less effort. Fingers crossed, I have other ways to go but I choose to ride my bike but I am a fair weather rider. I must admit I enjoy the attention it gets when parked. What year is that? You mean you did the paint yourself? Etc.

Back