Trash Crankcase

BigMacDouble

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally finished my engine using parts from the two better looking engines . I basically bought some guys garage worth of stuff which is why I have 3 engines and random 650 carbs.

I decided to check out the 3rd engine just to see if I could maybe part it out or if there were things worth saving . Realized why he sold me everything so cheap ...

Why would someone do this? There’s probably other ways to drain the oil if it was that stuck you needed to take an angle grinder to it :( . Is there any point in saving this ?

Attachments

• 2DCF54EB-6D31-4459-B083-3832222E90A0.jpeg
    2DCF54EB-6D31-4459-B083-3832222E90A0.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 132
If the missing piece is laying around in the pieces you could weld it back in place. Looks like a connecting rod broke and punched it out.

Depends on what the rest of cases look like.

If that's all, I have seen stuff like that run again and fine. The damage inside case may be far worse though.

It’s where the drain plug was. Most likely it was stuck then too much pressure snapped the bung off/out.

Then most likely my bad.

It's hard to grasp that somebody would put that much force on a drain plug, but that's just me. I haven't stripped a part out in many years and even on plastic parts now commonly found on all modern cars. You simply have to consider the properties of the material you are working with.

Back