Trying to restore my 1978 xs 400 to like new condition, but lacking in knowledge

Thecopsrcoming

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey im just trying to restore my 78 xs400 to a better condition thann i bought it in.... later im hoping to modify it cafe racer style but gotta start with baby steps... So im going around buying alll new/ newish parts for it but im new to this so im not sure what parts from different year bikes are compatible... Right now i found the throttle/run/kill/sart assembly from an 81 xs400 special but i dont want to buy it and find out its not compatible.... So if anyone could provide a range of different years of compatibilty or at least just lemme know if this part will work for my bike id be greatly appreciative... Im only 20 btw so try not to laugh at my lack of knowledge

Hey,
Lack of knowledge is never a problem, lack of questions can be. You have come to a good place to ask questions. :)
I don't know what parts will or wont work on your bike. I do know, with a "favourite search engine here" search one can find web pages like

mikesxs and

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/parts.html

Hope that point you In a good initial direction. Also i'v been told by wiser men than myself that trowing parts at a bike can get expensive really quick and is not alway the best rout to a fresh 'new' looking bike... So if the parts are fixable, it can be totally worth the elbow grease to clean paint and modify your own parts. Of course if its broken beyond repair thats a different story.:thumbsup:

Interesting that just last evening I took a pile of receipts from the last 2 years and started adding it all up finally. I paid $100 for the pile of junk in April 2010. The total cost of the bike is somewhat embarrasing. I have a few parts that are new that really didn't need replacing - which means I have some spare parts anyway. I regret having gone to that trouble and yet not having the frame powdercoated from the start.
BUT it's more or less a new bike from honed cylinders and piston rings to clutch plates; from steering stem bearings to swingarm bushings. What I've added up so far is $2600 and tomorrow I pick it up after spoke wheels are trued and tires on (prob. another $200). I don't actually have every single receipt and will have to print out the last 2 years of Paypal account and figure out what is what. I will admit it is NOT a wise investment but a worthwhile learning experience and I look forward to a ton of miles on the thing. Not showroom museum nice but meant for riding :bike:
With 2 years of it I found some really great deals on NOS parts on ebay.
Today I picked up from dealer 2 little screws for points cover, blind plug for intake boot barb and 1 allen bolt for the sprocket cover (the short one). Details :)
$3000 bike and it still could use paint and dents removed. Who knows how much the auto-isle stuff like carb cleaner to hand cleaner all cost. And then the labor! But a labor of love :heart: with a little bit of :cussing:
Good luck with the project, I am one of those who was throwing money at the thing :laugh:

Hey im just trying to restore my 78 xs400 to a better condition thann i bought it in.... later im hoping to modify it cafe racer style but gotta start with baby steps... So im going around buying alll new/ newish parts for it but im new to this so im not sure what parts from different year bikes are compatible... Right now i found the throttle/run/kill/sart assembly from an 81 xs400 special but i dont want to buy it and find out its not compatible.... So if anyone could provide a range of different years of compatibilty or at least just lemme know if this part will work for my bike id be greatly appreciative... Im only 20 btw so try not to laugh at my lack of knowledge

should work, there are some slight electrical differences as I remember modding an ignition switch to suit the original (just a soldering job with the blue headlamp wire)

watch for "custom" type bikes as they have a sloped front M/C and longer cables, stepped seats and slightly different rear frame.

Welcome!

Just so you know lack of knowledge to fix this bike will not be an issue while working on this bike, you can basically learn anything about it by rescearch or actually taking it apart yourself. I think the only issue one may incur with the second option would be lack of tools. Google is a great tool for rescearch if you ask the right questions...

...but it will most likley send you here because this site has all the right anwsers:laugh:
You are in a good place to start!

I have heard spoke wheels can be some work but they are pretty sharp. I think as far as my restore/mods go I am limited to being a complete cheapskate. Short of having to go buy things like "carb cleaner" and "spray paint" cause I cant manfuctarure them myself I and not handing anything over unless I see that Im not fit or equiped for the task. For my next trick I am going to attempt my own fender dent removal... and if that does not work out well then I can always pay someone else to remove the dents I made!

Back