Turn signal does not stay on

TheFoggie

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi community,

I have a 1982 XS400 Heritage Special and recently the signal switch has stopped working in the sense that if it is clicked over and released, it will indicate but only for a second. It used to stay on for the that predetermined amount of distance.
The quick "fix" is that I just hold the switch over to the side I want, but that can take some coordination when attempting to turn, pull the clutch and change gears all at the same time.

I have opened up the bar switch assembly and cleaned it thoroughly. Perhaps it is the relay? All I know is that it has just lost is "auto-off" feature.

Any ideas?
**Note:When the toggle switch is held, the turn signals work fine and blink as normal.

The auto-cancel units are known to fail.
Sounds like that may be the case here.

Could pull it out and go to a 2-pin relay. You'd lose the auto-cancel.

Just wanted to bump this thread as Im having the exact same issue. Blinkers no longer stay on. They flash if I hold the clicker over to the side, but do not stay on, as they should, until canceled by pressing the clicker in.

I dont care about the auto canceling feature. Just want my blinkers to work again. Three questions:

1) likely this is the flasher relay crapping out?
2) can someone help me understand what I can use to replace it? Is this a specialized part specific to the yamaha XS, or a generic part i can pick up in town?
3) do i have to pull the tank of to make this repair?

Thanks for your time guys...

Phil_B, Im having the same issue but only with the left signal. My diagnosis is that I need to take the turn signal control button apart and rebuild it. It hasnt been used in probably 25+ years until I came along and started using it. I have the auto cancel removed too. The contacts in the switch get all dirty and corroded so I bet they need to be cleaned and maybe dielectric grease... Im NOT sure about the greasing part, This might ruin the switch but I havent looked at it yet so I cant tell.

Be careful pulling the switch apart. The soldered connections inside are very delicate from age and tend to break. Fixing them is a bitch. Ask me how I know and I'll say, I have five of these bikes :laugh2:

Are there any simple tests I can perform to try and figure out whether it's the switch or the relay?

It was working fine but then in the last few weeks started to go sketchy.

The silliness continues.

Today start the bike up cold and the blinkers are working fine. After the bike warms up they return to the behaviour described above.

One characteristic I was thinking might help diagnose the problem. They are either working for a while, then not working for a while. It's never hit the switch once it works, twice it doesn't work, but then third time it works. Like the kind of thing you might expect from a bad switch that was making a connection half the time. If that makes sense?

So what do you guys think? Sounds like the relay?

Its been working fine for a few days, but want to be ready when it goes out again...

Clean the switch on the handlebar. You couldve shined up the copper inside it just by trying to switch it on and off constantly..

Clean the switch on the handlebar. You couldve shined up the copper inside it just by trying to switch it on and off constantly..

So is this just as simple as removing it, opening it up and giving it a clean?

Yea you can unscrewe the shell and expose the insides. XSChris mentions its a fragile process, take your time with it. There could be loose springs and pins in there im not sure

A bit of silicone grease would help prevent future corrosion and lube the moving pieces.

Thanks guys,

Ill try that out in the next few weeks and report back.

Much appreciated!

Back