turn signal help

grant6896

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hopeing someone has some insight, my turn signals worked fine, replaced them with mini bullet turn signals and now they wond flash, just stay on.

I had the same problem, tried to figure it out. then i started the engine and it worked out just fine. :)

the relay will not turn over, probably not getting enough current unless the bike is running.

You're having the same problem you would if you had LEDs; the bulbs in the mini turn signals are too small. Splice resistors in or get a new flasher.

i tried it with the bike running last night with no success.
I apreciate the suggestion bcware, ive never used resisters, is there a size? do they run in line with the positive lead? any more input would be apreciated. thanks

also, i replaced the gages and am no longer running indicator lights, could that have something to do with the turn signal circut? the replacement spedo has one pos lead unlike the stock wich has two leads. ive tried running the speedo with either pos lead with no change.

the indicator lamp will have an effect on the turn signal as the flasher needs a certin amount of resistance to operate

Is it possible to get a turn signal FAQ stickied? We probably get a new thread on the exact same issue every other day.

I am just copying and pasting now:

I used resistors from radioshack; they have large sizes for cheap. I could never find a flasher with the right layout for my bike and I am impatient, so I used the resistors because I found them locally. Everything works fine now.

Two 10 watt 10 ohm resistors in parallel on each side in the rear; one pair in parallel for each signal. The resistor must attach from the colored wire to the ground. I spliced mine in.

The stock flasher needs to have two 27 watt turnsignal bulbs and one 3 watt indicator light to get the the signals to flash.
Your mini flashers probably have 23 watt bulbs. Go to the parts store get an electronic flasher, a 522 or 533 can't ever seem to remember. One that isn't load sensitive.
Replace the stock flasher with the parts store flasher.
If your stock flasher has three prongs, that not a problem. On the third prong on the stock flasher is either a ground wire or a feed from the canceler unit.
I'm not sure just what color the wires on the XS400 are but on the XS650 they are brown, brown white and either black or yellow/green.
The brown is power from the key switch, the brown/white feeds the turn switch.
The bike's that don't have the canceler unit the third wire is black and goes to ground, on the bikes that have the canceler the third wire is the y/g and goes to the canceler.
Plug the new flasher into the brown and brown/white wires. Don't worry about the third wire.
Just remember to turn the signals off your self.
Leo

just want to say thnx again, i searched a bunch here and ended up using an EP-34 flasher relay. Well, afew minor mishaps and a 10a fuse later i have blinkers!!

I bought the 'egg' lights from licks thinking/hoping it would be plug and play. I ended up with the same issues as everybody with LED issues!
long story short, the EP-34 worked. I ended up making 3 'jumper' style wires, going from the harness to the new relay.
female connectors to the new relay, male connectors into the harness.

the green was straight forward, it went directly to the ground or the center prong on the new relay. not 100 percent which wire, brown or brown/white, but i spliced another wire going to a ground point on the frame. this worked! i have blinkers and all my electrical is working great. hope this will help with any flasher probs out there, i spent a few hours battling this one!!! these forums are awesome.
glad i didn't have to add a shitpile of resistors. whew!
(for 82 xs400j maxim, canadian edition)

Last edited:
What is your year and model? The wiring colors vary a bit by year. It's good to keep a reference for others that will do the flasher replacement in the future.

for sure! mines an 82 xs400j maxim(canadian model). flasher is tucked up under the gas tank inside the mainframes top tube, along with both coils.
its a 3 wire, green is gound, a brown wire and a brown/white.
I've been documenting my build/rebuild/fabwork in the bobber section as '82xs400 j build' i think...?
this site has been super helpful for me, would be pumped if i could help out anybody else!

Back