Turn signal laws in Pennsylvania?

RichieRiot

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a '80 SX400SG that I want to start modding over the winter. Before I start the tear down. I had a question.

I want to remove the turn signals from the bike so I can streamline it. Years ago someone told me that if the bike was built stock with signals you had to keep them or it wouldn't pass inspection. While I know this sounds like a load of BS since more then half the bikes I see on the road don't have them, but I didn't want to cut or change anything before checking.

I tried checking the PennDOT site but it didn't say anything about taking them off. It only had what someone needs to check on functioning signals so that it passes inspection.

Here in ny if the bikes came with them you need them to pass. I would check with your local guy that is doing the inspection and see what he says. You can put mini ones on so peolpe can at least see when you are turning and still have a cut down look.:wink2:

Thanks. I just figured I would ask on here to get some feedback on here before I started making calls. I don't have a regular mechanic yet for inspections, so I didn't want to annoy the first one I call with what could sound like a stupid question.

Virginia also says if it came with it it needs it then later in the rules they say you dont need signals i think they write the bike rules just to confuse us

Back