turn signals stop working after first start up

patrock

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, finally got my bike up and running (1976 XS360)... and now another hiccup has decided to emerge:banghead: my turn signals worked awesome before my first ever start up and test drive. after i took it around the block. no signals :wtf:
what I know
1.every piece of electrical was working before the first start up
2.it seems like everything is working except the turn signals (which are smaller wattage) and tail light(also smaller wattage) and different flasher relay (LED relay to accommodate smaller wattage signals)
3.one of my signal lamps has stopped all together even when power is connected straight to it
4.i had to (for some odd reason) switch the wires coming from the contact points around for it even start up
5.everything on the hand controls still work horn and high and low beam

so i'm hoping someone can give me a clue as where to start checking first. if anyone has anymore questions please let me know. as it's AMAZING WEATHER and would like to be boogieing down the road!!!
Thanks

figured it out.. just had to put it in writing to brainstorm further:shrug: its the new relay.. does anyone know why it may have done that? or what i can do so i can use my new turn signals?

You don't need a LED relay on non-led lights. The stock one should work fine or you can go to a auto parts store and buy a two prong 12v one for cheap. The only thing is the self -canceler unit will not work and you will have to turn them off at the switch.

Well the stock flasher does not work. The bulbs in the new signals are not quite large enough to trip the stock flasher so they just stay on. And someone on here recommended to LED flasher unit to me. Also is there a thread on how convert to a two prong flasher?

There is now.

Step 1- remove old flasher relay.

Step 2- buy round, 2 prong flasher (552 will work).

Step 3- plug in 2 prong flasher.

Light staying on solid, sounds more like single point of grounding at the turn signal light. May be a candidate for the diode kit for the dashboard cluster signal.

I had the exact same issue, you can get a three prong LED flasher relay as well (that's what I did). Simply replace the stock relay with the LED one. I did have to add an extra ground wire from the relay to the frame for it to work, but it was a really easy fix.

Well the stock flasher does not work. The bulbs in the new signals are not quite large enough to trip the stock flasher so they just stay on. And someone on here recommended to LED flasher unit to me. Also is there a thread on how convert to a two prong flasher?

Is the battery fully charged? Should be at least 12.5 volts.

In the flasher socket is a brown wire, this is power in, a brown/white is power out, ignore the third one. It goes to the self canceler.
Plug in the two prong flasher so it plug into the brown and brown/white wires.
Leo

Have you tried the flashers with the engine running? The first time I tried my new low-profile, cheapie, low-watt flashers, all I got was a solid light. I spent an evening reading threads about relay replacement. Then I tried the flashers with the engine running (i.e. more juice in the system), and they work fine. (Passed inspection today!)

Back