Turning Bars Full Right Causes Short?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I turn my wheel hard right (parking) the headlamp will go out along with everything else on the front end. It comes back on when I turn back. What's worse is I hear a nasty electrical sound.

I'll look around at this on my own but was wondering if anyone else has shared the same experience?

On my bike if I turn it full left my high beams turn on if the bike is on. I imagine that the wiring that runs through the column wears off the insulation over time and is probably making contact when you turn the handlebars. If you can find it it's probably 5 or six wraps of electrical tape to fix it.

The headlight bucket has grommets to protect the wires. These grommets can wear through and let the headlight bucket wear on the wires. They can become lost too.
Leo

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little nervous working with the electrical only because of the need to itemize what parts are removed in what order. I'll giver 'er a go, though, in a couple days. Electrical tape is ready :)

One thing ... this doesn't always happen. Sometimes it shorts, others all is well. Weird.

The electrical system on these bikes is very simple. All of the harnesses are unique and cannot fit back on wrong. Just pay the most attention to the headlight and the wires attached to the coils. There are a lot of bullet connectors in the headlight, but they are all color-coded. Do not be alarmed if you find loose wires. I think the harnesses are used on more than one model with different features.

Back