Twin Sisters of Evil... Hello!

Higgy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here with a couple of questions an a quick little bio.

In 1967, for my ninth birthday, my dad brought home to me a brand new Rupp Roadster. It was red and the tank was silver. I was in love. I road that thing to the ends of the Earth. From there, I graduated to a Honda Mini-Trail 50, then to a Trail 70, and a Trail 90. Then I became a teen and worked in a bicycle shop and a shoe store after school, and got and SL100, SL125, and an RD400 in succession. I enlisted in the US military in 1976, and while I was at my first two assignments I had a CB350F, a CB400F, a CB750F and a Suzuki 250 Savage. I went to Germany and a BMW R65 followed me home one day. When the new Kawi GPZ1000 Ninja came out, I bought one of those and realized how easily I could be a bug-splat on the Autobahn. Frightening!

Anyhow, I retired in '96, and came home to a Sportster, and a lineup of un-exciting Harleys and dual-sports until I had a pretty serious crash in 2007. Forty years of riding, shot all to hell. 13 broken bones. Traumatic brain injury - of which I am now disabled for. I mean its ironic that I rode in Germany, France, PARIS and ROME, and never had any trouble, not even a close call, and one night riding home from the Harley dealership I worked, I ate it bigtime.

No idea what happened and no recollection of the crash. The police say it was a single-vehicle crash. I was found in the middle of the road, and my bike - a new Street Glide - was found 200+ feet over a rock wall and into a field. I woke up a week later, after being comatose. Broken ribs, shoulder, hip, and collarbone. No abrasions, and not a single cut at all. I was wearing full HD leather road suit, boots and full-face helmet. Lucky! No doubt that is what saved my life.

40 years of riding came to an abrupt stop. I haven't ridden since 2007. Doc says if I do take another hit to the skull I'm fucked. Wife is seriously pissed I got these shitty bikes off Craigslist, and she is way-against me riding again.

But now here I am with two XS400s. Both are big piles of crap. Wife understands my need to express myself artistically. I'm a second-generation machinist - I grew up in my dad's shop. Anything I have ever wanted I built myself. I'm a schooled welder, and I've done a ton of fabrication on bikes and cars and stuff. I was a custom knife maker, and actually doing quite well until I had that crash. I got some skills, but I have never built a chopper or bobber. I made a café once out of my CB400F, but that was back in 1979(?). Been a while. So as soon as I get some summer remodeling projects done, I'll be embarking on my winter bike build. My plan is to make a bobber or two.

Sorry for being so lengthy and wordy. I promise not to be so verbose in my future posts, but I heartily thank any of you who have read all of it. I'm glad that I found this site, and I hope to learn a lot, but I also hope that I can share a lot of my knowledge too! Good to be here!

Oh, and sorry for the "Twin Sisters of Evil" thing. Its only meant to provide something interesting to catch your attention, and not the typical, "Hello from BF Egypt post," or new guy this and that post.

I was hoping for some Yamaha riding sisters!

Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to seeing the projects.

Its weird to me that both bikes VIN-checked as 1981's, yet the black one has mags and disc, while the bluie has drums and wire wheels.

Anyhow, I may just pick up a couple more like this as I go along. Never hurts to have partzzzz...

Don't quote me on this, but, yes, I think it is normal that the same year has different options for brakes and whatnot.

That rear rack and sissy bar better stay on. That thing is amazing. Get a replacement cushion for it.

I'm also in NH; let me know if you're looking for any parts. I have a bunch of extra myself.

Don't quote me on this, but, yes, I think it is normal that the same year has different options for brakes and whatnot.

That rear rack and sissy bar better stay on. That thing is amazing. Get a replacement cushion for it.

I'm also in NH; let me know if you're looking for any parts. I have a bunch of extra myself.

You like that sissy bar? You can have it. It'll save me a trip to the dump, haha.

If you aren't going to use it you should sell it on here. Those sorts of things are pretty rare. List it in the classifieds haha. My bike is all cut up and custom, so it wouldn't fit!

Those sorts of things are pretty rare. List it in the classifieds haha.

I did not know that there was a market for this stuff. I guess just because I think its crap does not mean that someone else may find it desirable I suppose. One man's crap is another man's phat lewt? :confused:

I like the cafe racer thing and all that, but it isn't exactly original. I full touring xs400 with giant sissy bar and hard bags... now THAT is original!

Higgy,

Looks like some good bikes to start your project, more or less complete but not so pretty it would be a shame to mod them.

I know something about having an accident close to home, I probably hold the record for that as my accident was in my own driveway! One mile ride home from work to home and as I pulled in driveway an Isuzu Trooper runs across my front yard and Tee-boned me! Just lucky the XS650 had a sidecar hanging on the side or right leg would have taken the hit. Did mess up right shoulder a bit but not too bad, got me a 6 month vacation from work!

Think I have a front end, wheel or two and maybe a tank if you need something.

They made a economy model ( spoke wheels) and a dressed up one, mags/disc. Good stock parts are getting harder to find so sell what you don't want here. I regret some of the stuff I have sold and done to a stock bike:(

You guys are a pretty friendly bunch. Much appreciated!

Yesterday, my grandchildren landed here, so I've been busy with them. I've had no time to play with my bikes - even if its just to get them under cover. I just now got the black one off my truck.

The PO did not have plugs in it. No telling how long it was like that. I poured about a cup into each cylinder and kicked it over a few times, watching the juice spray out each side.

After all that I put the plugs back in. I'll probably rebuild the engine completely. On this note, can anyone give me a few good links to places for engine parts and XS parts?

Can't help you with parts because it's a different ballgame here in the North, but I can pass on a few tidbits of advice for a full rebuild!

1) Spend some money on good penetrating lubricant, and an impact screwdriver set incase the lube doesn't work great.

1 cont.) Also buy a tube of assembly grease for use on threads, engine components... anything really. It will make everything mate better, and you can use a dab of grease on the valve collets to keep them on the valve stem when you put that whole mess back together :)

2) Be liberal with heat.

3) "If you don't have to then don't" - try to disassemble the fewest components possible.

4) Get a box of 100 sandwich bags and a sharpie; bag and tag everything, and put a smidgeon of oil in any bags containing parts that should keep some moisture.

4 cont.) Write on the engine as much as you need to to keep shell bearings, orientations etc. organised as the sharpie will do nothing to the engine itself, but messed up part associations or orientations most certainly could.

5) Post lots of photos for BCWare ;)

All of these are things I wish I knew, so whether you are an experienced rebuilder or not I think it's valuable advice/reminders. Good luck sourcing parts!

Can't help you with parts because it's a different ballgame here in the North, but I can pass on a few tidbits of advice for a full rebuild!

Thanks for the advice, Liam. I'll add some of my comments below, and hopefully others will chime in as well, offering wisdom and tips.

1) Spend some money on good penetrating lubricant, and an impact screwdriver set incase the lube doesn't work great.

Ah, that's right! The old impact screwdriver set ploy. I forgot how stubborn those bloody phillips-heads can be. There is nothing on this planet than can remove a stubborn screw that's corroded-into a case. I've actually had to drill off the heads of some on my old Kawasaki, and replace each set of threads with heli-coils. My theory is that the plating used on the fasteners on early Japanese bikes had a galvanic reaction to the aluminum and corroded themselves right up tight. Good reminder!

1 cont.) Also buy a tube of assembly grease for use on threads, engine components... anything really. It will make everything mate better, and you can use a dab of grease on the valve collets to keep them on the valve stem when you put that whole mess back together :)

Noted. I use it a lot in everyday things actually.
2) Be liberal with heat.

3) "If you don't have to then don't" - try to disassemble the fewest components possible.

Sorry, no can do. Its not my style. If I don't disassemble it, how will I know if its still good? A ground-up resto is only a ground up if everything is taken down to separate parts.

For instance, I have a John Deere tractor in my shop right now with the transaxle and hydrostatic tranny out. There was tranny fluid leaking out though the rear axle, right out into the brake drums and all over the place. Bad seals, but when I pulled the seals, there was metal bits in the oil. Apparently, the old-school seals had springs helping them to keep their shape, and had let go, causing the gears to grind up all the metal. So I pulled everything apart and inspected each gear under magnification. I also pulled apart the hydro pump and discovered the shaft was worn pretty bad and needed a new one along with new seals and bearings.

So actually I will never heed this particular advice because if I don't go through it, I can't guarantee it.

4) Get a box of 100 sandwich bags and a sharpie; bag and tag everything, and put a smidgeon of oil in any bags containing parts that should keep some moisture.

I do all of this and take pics too. My memory is horrible after the crash. I also take pages of notes and drawings when needed.

4 cont.) Write on the engine as much as you need to keep shell bearings, orientations etc. organized as the sharpie will do nothing to the engine itself, but messed up part associations or orientations most certainly could.

Aye this is very good advice here. :thumbsup:

5) Post lots of photos for BCWare ;)

All of these are things I wish I knew, so whether you are an experienced rebuilder or not I think it's valuable advice/reminders. Good luck sourcing parts!

Speaking of sourcing parts: Am I to assume that OEM dealership parts are limited now?

They are NOT Phillips screws! They are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). Look for a dot stamped into the head of the screw. As most people in the world don't have the correct screw drivers, please be sure to purchase a set. You will be amazed at the difference. I know I was. They can be found online at Amazon.com among other places.

Jeez, 'splains why I stripped every single one of them :/

My experience that brought about #3 was that I took apart a lot of things that didn't need to be just for the sake of it, broke a lot of stuff in the process, so that's one of my more personal guidelines as I tend to launch into things without thinking. Great input about needing to check it all though.

I think your approach negates the original advice because it is methodical and thorough, I guess I should amend it to "don't strip one screw then go to the next without buying the right tool first" :laugh:

Back