type of paint for cylinder head and engine cases

carpface

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Help needed:confused: looking to find the type of paint best to use on engine cases and cylinder head as i know cylinder head wants to be high temperature but no sure how high temperature rating needs to be:shrug:.I would like to have a satin black finish to engine for my trike which is in third wheel section.Would be gratefull for advice.:thumbsup:

thanks for reply have seen about pj1,but cure in oven don't think i would be very popular.Have seen a paint tech-cote surposed to be similar to pj1 any one know.

most paints for engine need curing, you may get away with just the heat of the engine to provide some curing.

BBQ paint is good and I have that on my tracker exhaust and cured it with a blow torch.

I have used pj1 on my 650 engine and it worked fine. Just run the engine for a few minutes just to get it warm. Then do this a few times allowing the engine to cool after. Once it has cured (you will see a color change a little maybe a bit of vapor) then take it out for a short mild drive to finish it up. I have done this with head pipes and mufflers with no issues. The key thing to remember is to heat it slowly:thumbsup:

I used black DTM (direct to metal) epoxy primer paint on our XS400 engine and it seems to be holding up very well. Easy to spray and no baking. Withstands fuel spills well. Like any paint, the surface to be painted must be perfectly free of grease and dirt. It dries to a nice semi gloss.

Oh man, i have read nothing but good things about PJ1 but it appears to be a US/UK only thing... anyone know if it's attainable in the great white north? Can't find any online vendors who will ship it across border yet... will I have to settle for VHT?:confused:

have found a paint called APICO satin black heat paint on e-bay could be alternative to pj1
similar specifications.:wink2:

Back