Vapour Blasted Wheels

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
I got my wheels back from the vapour blaster and I think they look great. No more crappy half peeling flaky black paint, just nice nude cast alloy.

2012-03-16115228.jpg

2012-03-16115126.jpg

I was planning to paint them gun metal grey this weekend but I really like the way they look in the raw and I might just polish them to give a bit of protection. What do you guys think?

leave 'em raw, it was standard on the 360 anyway (in Europe)

It would have been better shot peened as it hardens the outer alloy and gives it some protection!

Mate, the crappy phone camera does not do these wheels justice. The cast texture looks bloody great in the sun.

It cost a bit as there were several layers of different paint to be stripped but what the hell.

Posted via Mobile

I beleive you, i know how good the engine bits look after, like brand new! Im planning on doing all my brake calipers and mounts, tripple(then polish to a shine), fork legs(then polish), carbies,now the wheels, and anything else thats gonna come up nice:D Again thanks to drewpy for putting us onto it:thumbsup:

How much was it? Maybe if i hit mine with paint stripper first it will be cheaper? They look really nice...

I used paint stripper that half removed the paint and half killed me. When they say use in a well ventilated work area they mean it. I think the blaster guy used more stripper and inbetween blasting. Anyway it cost me $140 for both wheels which I think is a bargin considering how long it would of taken me to do. and I can guarantee that I would never of been able to match the quality of the job.

Posted via Mobile

Pork Chop,

I spent another moment reading your post and enjoing your pictures, and I have some food for thought

It occurred to me that the wheel, which now shines like a new penny, might look nice with highlights rather than fully painted.

Here is a doctored photo with black highlights on the spokes and at the hub and rim.

You can now tell me to get stuffed. :wink2:

Attachments

• Shinny Wheel Black Lines.jpg
    Shinny Wheel Black Lines.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 367
Pork Chop,

I spent another moment reading your post and enjoing your pictures, and I have some food for thought

It occurred to me that the wheel, which now shines like a new penny, might look nice with highlights rather than fully painted.

Here is a doctored photo with black highlights on the spokes and at the hub and rim.

no, doesn't look good in my book.

Pork Chop,

Get stuffed :laugh:

Seriously, all suggestions are welcome. I originally drew inspiration from '65 mustang american racing wheels. Going with gun metal grey spokes & hub, shiney rim & white tyre writing but there is something sexy about nude cast wheels :pimp:

I will paint the inside of the rim (under the tyre) to protect from corrosion.

The steel that the sprocket sits around on the rear wheel has surface rust since blasting. Should I just wire wheel & spray with inox?

Posted via Mobile

Pork Chop,

Another option could be to just polish those areas you have highlighted with wet/dry and get a chrome like shine just in those areas and leave the rest with the raw alloy look? Would be quite a subtle effect but may look nice:shrug:

Attachments

• Shinny%20Wheel%20Black%20Lines.jpg
    Shinny%20Wheel%20Black%20Lines.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 315
Another option could be to just polish those areas you have highlighted with wet/dry and get a chrome like shine just in those areas and leave the rest with the raw alloy look? Would be quite a subtle effect but may look nice:shrug:

Could look cool but I gotta focus on getting the bike back on the road in 4 weeks otherwise it is blue slip time.:banghead:

Back