Voltage Regulator and Regulator Rectifier don't match Stator

RSTMatt

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got a little head scratcher here.....the plugs from voltage Regulator and Regulator Rectifier don't match the stator, is this because they come from different engines?

Can I just cut and fix them together with crimps \ solder?

IMG_8913.JPG
IMG_8912.JPG

Those are points wires. They go to a different part of the harness. I would look at a wiring diagram of your model bike to see where.

The connectors you're holding in the photos plug into the the corresponding connectors in the wiring harness, not directly to each other.

Ok....I thought the regulator rectifier went straight into the stator? Well in that case Im going to have to cut them because I bought the bike in a box of bits and dont have the wiring loom \ harness. I have plenty of wires and connectors to make a basic loom though and Id rather make it brand new because its easier for fault finding and also im not sure how much I would trust a 40 year old wiring loom off ebay.

To be honest the wiring diagram makes no sense to me at the moment, (XS400D) it shows 4 wires going from the stator into a plug but the connecting plug only having 3 wires coming out.

What does make sense to me is the 3 white wires that come out of the stator match the 3 white wires that come from the reg rectifier and the black and red from the reg rectifier are ground and power.....is it that simple?

You really should just find a new wire loom since you dont know how to read a wire diagram. Ive seen brand new wire looms on Ebay. Theres a guy that has them.
You think youre confused about wire looms now, just wait until you get to the handlebars...

Its much easier to understand wire diagrams when you have the wires in front of you. Its easier to start with something simple, like a light or a switch. That way you can map out your lead wire and your ground and go from there. You have to be able to visualize a headlight switch in the form of a diagram.. Its pretty simple once you can put a diagram image to a certain part such as a switch or a light.

Its easiest to start from the starter/battery IMO and work from there. battery lead goes to solenoid, the ground goes to ground etc etc.

Some bikes have the fourth stator wire. Some don't.
I believe it was only used on one model year.
Looks like yours won't be using it so no worries.

Yes, three white wires to three white wires. At least buy some kind of connector instead of soldering them directly together.
Cycleterminals.com sell the stock type of connectors that would fit those, or they have more modern versions.

Or buy a wiring harness. Much easier as long as it's for the right model.

I'd probably junk that rusty mechanical regulator.

The earlier points bikes (77-79) have the four wire stator and the later ones (80-82) have three.

Back