Weak fork?

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
My front forks have been very weak and I attributed that to a bad/leaking oil seal so I just replaced both seals and fill the forks with 130cc of oil each and they still seem to be too soft. If I brake at %70 the forks pretty much bottom out. Is this normal? Also, if I'm pulling into a parking lot and there's a lip on the entrance they bottom out unless I'm under 10 mph. Do I need new fork springs or is this normal? I am going to add a bit more oil tomorrow but I don't think this will be enough to compensate for the softness.

'77 XS400 all stock (as far as I'm aware)

heavier oil will help. You can probably get a replacement spring set from sonic springs.

Haha no worries I meant to put that but I forgot. I weigh 150 pounds which is why I thought it was strange for them to be bottoming out so easily. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend money on springs but it looks like it needs to be done.

Does anyone know if the springs on XS650's are compatible because I found a pair on mikesxs.net and apparently bikebandit.com and partsnmore.com don't sell them.

Really any 33mm spring should work, if it's too long cut it down, too short, add spacers. Pretty easy =)

sonic springs does sell springs for CX500 (honda) which are 33mm (in most cases), likely others will work as well.

Back