What am I getting into?

Ah! Cool! Thanks so much! I knew grabbing a shot of those would help someone find out more for me. thank you for tracking It down!

Was there anything special about the Heritage I need to know for working on it?

Ah! Cool! Thanks so much! I knew grabbing a shot of those would help someone find out more for me. thank you for tracking It down!

Was there anything special about the Heritage I need to know for working on it?
Not really. I'm pretty sure it was purely cosmetic changes.....badges, paint, etc. I may be wrong though.

Not really. I'm pretty sure it was purely cosmetic changes.....badges, paint, etc. I may be wrong though.

So the ridiculous rear seat is part of the package, you think?

God, that thing has GOT to go.

I definitely don't want to go as far as Cafe style, because I want to have a passenger, however I really want to start simplifying it and "cleaning up" the look of it as soon as I get a hold of it.

Yeah, I think the seat was part of the "package"! haha Probably cost more than a regular XS too! hahaha

I have seen a few bikes that run a cafe "bum stop" style seat when riding alone, then convert to a two up capable seat style. I will try to find one of the ones I've seen. May be another option for you.

The thing looks monstrous. Just, eh.

But, that, the giant rear light, giant turn signals, ...I dont know. Its just got to be skimmed down to newer, cleaner looking parts.

Of course, Im getting ahead of myself. The things not even in my possession yet.

It's pretty reasonable to change up blinkers and lights; you can probably do better, but from a local dealer I got 4 new turn signals and a tail light for about 50 bucks. If you want to go really crazy you can order some led bulbs to lighten the load on your battery in addition to cosmetics. I plan to make a cafe seat capable of a passenger; it should look snazzy I hope :) I am looking at modern sport bikes as inspiration for my design; they pretty much all have passenger seats even though they are an aggressive shape.

Hmmm. Im going to search around and see what kind of things I can find.

I just really want to clean up the rear end of it. Theres got to be a smaller taillight kit available somewhere.

Here is a photoshop of my idea so far. I am pretty happy with this overall shape. It should be large enough for a passenger.

Attachments

• xs400_seat_final.jpg
    xs400_seat_final.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 233
The whole banana seat curve is the only thing I could come up with that would fit a passenger, not look terrible, and be reasonably easy to make. Let me know what you come up with.

Just hopped in the car to go grab the bike.

Kind of excited.

Only problem- I've got to throw air in the tires and push it several blocks.

Let's hope it rolls...

Posted via Mobile

Well, it's home. Kind of...

Its out of the previous owner's way, and sitting in my garage. Its final location will be my race car garage, not the home garage. So, one more trip is planned for next week. But, it's in my possession!

I did get it to roll. But, not until I coaxed the front brake pads off the rotor with a flathead driver. Ive seen this before- just after sitting for a while brakes tend to stick. So, a front caliper rebuild is in the making.

Please- You guys know what you're looking at, here. I do not. So, I ask you to tell me what you see. Whats good, whats bad? What requires immediate attention and what can wait? Help me comprise a list of what needs to be done on this baby. Also, um, part numbers for service parts would be a huge help!

Here we go...
Now, for the pictars!
DSC05597.jpg

DSC05598.jpg

DSC05599.jpg

DSC05602.jpg

DSC05603.jpg

DSC05610.jpg

DSC05608.jpg

Last edited:
Back