What did you do with your XS today?

grind down a nail and using pliers, hook one end of the circlip out and then the other, it will ping out so do it in a plastic bag.

I had to destroy the rubber cover to do this, but had a kit to replace it anyway

Good plan. I have destroyed the dust seal so have already ordered a kit.

Anyone got any tips for getting the front brake master cylinder circlip out? what a brilliant place to put it....can hardly see it no matter get a pair of pliers on it......cheers Yamaha!

I think I was eventually able to get a small pair of cir clip pliers in there and hook an end out.

There are also 90º long-nosed circlip pliers you can get to do the job. I bought some from Parts N More to use next time, after spending way too much time getting mine out.

Got my ignition and new keys back from the locksmith, installed the crankcase breather than finally showed up, replaced my fusebox with blade fuse holders, and tried to start it for the first time since I've had it. No luck though. It cranks and cranks on the electric starter but doesn't quite kick over.

Cleaned her up and snapped a photo!

C915D36C-2053-4B0C-BF2B-D0F58820DBF2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the air out of my brake line yesterday/today. I found a quick trick online: just put a few strong rubber bands on the brake lever overnight and the air will escape into the master cylinder and be displaced with brake fluid. (keeping the lever pulled overnight allows the air to slowly rise up - it doesn't do this quick enough during normal use).

Of course this won't help you with a seized MC, or if you have dirty/old brake fluid, but for those of you interested in an alternative to pumping new brake fluid through your line, this works amazingly! Goodbye spongy brakes.

These sort of tips & tricks should be stickied somewhere :thumbsup:

If one thinks about how the master cylinder works, squeezing the brake lever won't let air out. If it did, then there would be no pressure in the system, the lever would go the the bar, and the brakes wouldn't work.

Squeezing the lever will compress the air, resulting in smaller bubbles. The smaller bubbles can float up to the master easier and might be purged when the lever is released and applied later.

This process will help get some of the air out of the system. Especially air bubbles that are stuck in the line. But it will NOT get all of the air out of the system. Only bleeding the system properly can do that. I have found that once most of the air is bled out the brakes are safe to ride, After a couple of days, a quick bleed will remove any remaining air.

got a new throttle cable at the local shop, the guy is always happy I come in to buy something because I'm the only person in town who buys his xs400 crap :D got a nice discount too :thumbsup: still more expensive than buying online though, but at least I know I got the right thing and I have it straight away

Then I went and stripped a phillips head on the throttle grip housing, sawed a new slot in it and got it out, put the new cable in and put it all back together.

Tried to start and it wouldn't fire up. Diagnosed it yet again with no fuel delivery to the carbs, checked my tank for vacuum which it seemed to create, and cleaned off my tank epoxy liner (which I put in last week) from the inside of the fuel filler cap which seemed to help. Tip for future epoxy liner users: stick some tape or something on the inside of the fuel filler cap before applying liner.
Finally got the fuel filler cap to 'breathe', and it would still not run nicely. Just fire up a bit, stutter and die. Turns out my inline fuel filter was clogged up again...
Replaced that and off it went.

Went for a test ride and the bike was acting crazy, the clutch was really inconsistent (sometimes engaging half pulled, sometimes still disengaged without pulling). Also the throttle seemed jumpy. After checking all the throttle stuff (thinking: that's the only thing I touched so the only thing that could be wrong) I notice I jammed the clutch cable between the carbs and the engine. :doh: Got it unstuck and all was well.

If one thinks about how the master cylinder works, squeezing the brake lever won't let air out. If it did, then there would be no pressure in the system, the lever would go the the bar, and the brakes wouldn't work.

Squeezing the lever will compress the air, resulting in smaller bubbles. The smaller bubbles can float up to the master easier and might be purged when the lever is released and applied later.

This process will help get some of the air out of the system. Especially air bubbles that are stuck in the line. But it will NOT get all of the air out of the system. Only bleeding the system properly can do that. I have found that once most of the air is bled out the brakes are safe to ride, After a couple of days, a quick bleed will remove any remaining air.

Sure, makes sense. My brakes were working well before I put it into storage for winter. They were a little soft when I took it out, and this trick worked perfectly for me. The brake fluid is still nice and clean, so I figured this would do just fine until I need to change it in the future.

Tried to change the spark plugs, discovered I need to change the wires too. Tried cleaning the plugs in the meantime and got the bike cranking. Then a backfire. Now I can't hear so good.

lubed up everything I could access without major deconstruction, inflated the tires, adjusted all cables and checked all components, sprayed all my electrical connectors and switches with some protector spray, topped up the engine oil.

also bought some helmet straps so I can start using my helmet lock :) I was missing the original but some 5mm stainless cable with end loops should do the trick

Worked on getting my tach cable out of the valve cover. Added a bunch of rust penetrant. No luck yet. Waiting. Hoping not to need to remove the valve cover.

Ordered new tach cable.

Been working on a '81 for the past couple months that I scored in a trade. This is what I've done so far. It started as a half done bobber project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 193
Worked on my starter button broke off the blue wire had to resoilder it back on.Not a good day to do this have to much tremor in my hands.Hoping to get more done on both projects but Im just feeling that energetic today.

Back