What did you do with your XS today?

Just finished making a quick release mounting system for my top box. It needs a bit of tweaking and some paint before I will be satisfied with it, but I have to be up in 5 hours so it can wait for another day.

I got the bike running! unfortunately the starter made a liar out of me. It did not wont to work today. The kick did, then the idle said I need to clean the carbs. like the 4k rpms, wont come down, it will but it didn't like to do it, with a a little killing action when I tried to rev it up from 4k. I know I should have clean them anytime over winter. Now I am back to where I was at some time ago. various electrical issues. I have to get the carbs clean before I can figure anything else out. Maybe nothing. Then a new bolt broke off while trying to put it into the left side Yamaha plate. (not a show stopper)

mac 2n1 exhaust on it now too! got my first near burn off the muffler!!!!

Happened yesterday, but I was too exhausted to get on here at the time.
Went to my first Friday the 13th event and met up with forum member Ugly Duckling for a couple of minutes. The sheer number of people and bikes was overwhelming! I got to answer a couple of questions about the XS and snapped some pictures of a 1950s BSA, a 1914 Schwinn and a bunch of crazy customs (one had a coffin as a sidecar, which I found oddly fitting). On the way back, my vacuum tube decided to let go and I broke down in front of about a thousand people.
Also, I found that my turn signals won't blink if I'm also on the brake under the charging limit. I'll be doing a rewire this winter in order to remedy that little quirk, as I figure one of the circuits are drawing a bit too much current.

Been thinking about a different seat for my bike. With me being 6'4" and long legged the riding position is cramped with that uncomfortable rear hump. Anyone out there have a suggestion? Thought about a Harley type saddle but that would leave an unsightly gap behind the original tank. Just started looking. Any suggestions?

Willem thanks for all the help you have contributed to me and all our other members.Like others have said we hope you drop by on occasion and make a suggestion or two and brag about how nice your new bike rides.You have been a great member of this site,best of luck on your new chapter of the biking world.:cheers:
Oh also don't know if I missed it but did you sell your old bike or whats being done with it?

Today I assembled my new clip on handlebars and their various control bits, lubed the clutch cable (loads better than it was) and took another short ride. Hit second gear for the first time! It's still running rich but it's not bogging or anything, the throttle is nicely responsive.

Just bought an 82 maxim xs400. want to change up the coil over suspension to lower bike, but having a hard time finding the right one. Does anyone know the proper length for this bike? I believe mine may be wrong, it's 12R-00. approx 15". Was told this should be approx 12 or 13".
I'm in Canada, not many old bike shops around.

Sloshing Metal Rescue around in my fuel tank for the second time. Apparently did not dry it fast enough earlier today and the interior flash rusted.

Going to throw it in the oven after this round.... Then have a shop Red Kote it this week.

Took the 79 out for a 120 mile ride and the 80 out for a quick 45 mile rip. It was a good fathers day for me:D

Was at the CVMG Rally in Paris ON with Dave late Friday afternoon and we met the owner/operator of a brand new start-up company with a real nice product for crowed garages/workshops/bike sheds or multiple bike owners.

More than a cheap accessory, but way cheaper than building an addition on the shop!
His levelling mats make all the difference in terms of the oomph required.

Attachments

• Turncycle.jpg
    Turncycle.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for all the kind words guys I really appreciate it. I have to say, I have gained much, much more from this place than I could ever give back.

Aaron, I sold the xs400 last week on Thursday to a nice young guy from just a town away, he seemed happy with it.

As for now, my tire guy is still waiting for the out of stock tires for my Super Ténéré. It has been a bikeless weekend unfortunately. Anyways, getting hitched soon so lots to do in the meantime. Rubber side down guys

Today I..... (Technically last night I...) decided side covers were now necessary! I got the bike in piss poor condition...

So I chopped everything off I could. Rebuilt everyythinnnnnng... (Due to an unhappy cam sprocket that decided to explode.)

Now I'm at the... It's fun and looks fun.... But I need fancier stage. So last night I got the idea to start hiding wiring, and cleaning up the body. I had this idea for wooden side covers. So I cut out a template, and cut out the two triangular pieces of wood. I grinded a rounded edge on em, and hand sanded em smooth to show a rounded edge. I stained them darker around the edges, fading to a very light color stain in the center of the panel. After one more coat dry, I will paint a green stripe on them, with a white lined border.

Now I just pray my mounting guesswork with work lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 218
Back