What did you do with your XS today?

Mocked up a cardboard template for the bracket I am going to fabricate for the tail light assembly. Also test fit one of the new turn signals; had to tap out the hole a couple of sizes with my drill.

Had to replace the toggle ignition switch on my 80. It crapped out just after a 60 mile ride as I was pulling into the garage:eek: Thankfully not when I was 30 miles from home:laugh: The switch was in my electrical parts drawer and was who knows how old and from what. When I looked at it the thing was only rated at 4 amps:doh: I never looked when I put it in and I am surprised it lasted for the 600 miles I put on it so far this year. Needless to say I put a robust 15 amp one in and that should do the trick:thumbsup:

Took it on the street for the first time. It doesn't like to shift from second to first, the lever just kind of bounces without clunking into gear. What might that be symptomatic of?

... What might that be symptomatic of?
A Yamaha?

First I would assume that it is technique (that's why neither of mine would go into 1st on occasion). It's easier to work on that than to assume it's automatically mechanical and start taking things apart.

If I forgot to shift it into 1st until I came to a complete hault it would just bounce or stick completely. Or worse, if I waited until after I shut it off, it would not budge. I rarely had trouble if I did it like my sr 250 manual said: View attachment 14548

If it turns out that technique won't solve it and something is bent or worn, I'm sorry not to be able to offer any help.

Took it out for another little ride. With about 30 mi on the plugs it ran good at speed and pulled strong thru the gears. When I came to a stop it stalled & was hard to restart. At each stop till I got home it would again stall out. Plugs are Totally carbon crusted & sooty. Carbs gotta come off At least take the needles down 1 notch & hope for the best. Carbs are from a modified XS 360 and I've no idea what jets are in it or if the jets & related parts are compatible. Will find out soon. Another thing It would always start great with out the enricher and no air filters. Almost too good to be true. And here I thought I'd stumbled upon something everyone is searching for. The Best quickest starting Engine for these bikes.

With the xs360 carbs you need to run the stock. One -1.5 turns out on the mix screws, third clip on the needle and 135 mains. I run a very unrestricted setup on my 80 and that seems to work the best.

Last edited:
Just took them off last night and will get into them later today. I think all I have to do is put the needle down 1 to lean it out some. that's one thing I didn't take apart.:( I was in them earlier but don't remember what size jets are in there. Still waiting for my pods & sprocket from mikes so running open intake and after market exhaust with no crossover. I did have to jerry rig the mixture screws a bit. Missing 1 spring so for the present time I'm using a small piece of silicon tubing.:yikes: It's not great but it hadn't let me down yet.:shrug: I know I know STUPID!!! Also going to make a Sync tool & get them right.:bike: Thanks Chris for posting this so soon.

With the xs360 carbs you need to run the stock. One -1.5 turns out on the mix screws, third clip on the needle and 135 mains. I run a very unrestricted setup on my 80 and that seems to work the best.
Just looked at your picture. Looks like the same type mufflers & pods I've ordered. Since it works well for you I'm sure I'll have good luck.

My exhaust is a 1970's winning performance 2-1 and the pods are vintage K&N RC 130's I very doubt they are the same:)

No but they look close. My exhaust is stock pipes with Emgo Mufflers. Thing is with this info I have a good starting point for the carbs. Just wish the internals from my original carbs would have fit these. Mine is also an 80 with drums on both ends. It was a basic commuter for years before it was neglected & left to rot. I got it from a guy who was intending to return it to commuter service and lost interest.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking of doing a sort of WWII Military version with Olive drab paint & nose art. But things like cash are tight and I'm kinda lazy after work lately.

Today I dropped the oil, rigged in some rear suspension (no more struttin' around) I put some sea foam in the crankcase and gas then ran about 50miles. I outlined my home tow and then some. Today I finally gained some trust in my build. I think I've finally chased out all of my problems. ^_^

my emgo shorties are a bit loud for me and my neighbors. Took out the baffles, all of the packing had burned off. wrapped each with stainless pot scrubbers (3 on each).

3 on each side didnt fit back in the muffler. Removed one and still had to force the left side in a bit.

Really not any quieter in my opinion. May try to repack with fiberglass packing with some stainless around that

Attachments

• photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 200
  • photo 2(1).jpg
    photo 2(1).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 195
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 193
What I did with my XS today is: dropped it. In the parking lot. Like a chump. Also took it to the shop for an out-of-province inspection which I hope it will pass handily. Also also discovered that I am also a victim of the 400's abysmal charging system; when I went to kick it over to take it to the shop this morning it was dead, from a night outside where the temperature never dropped below 15.

Picked up a few more titanium bolts. Also recessed the bolts on my breather cover just for the heck of it. :laugh:

Attachments

• DSC02606.jpg
    DSC02606.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC02607.jpg
    DSC02607.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC02608.jpg
    DSC02608.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC02609.jpg
    DSC02609.jpg