What did you do with your XS today?

Photo on 2013-03-01 at 17.10.jpgBuilt my exhaust.

Put the parts back on the bike; took the pipes off and wrapped them; and did a little more polishing.

Was a good day :bike:

IMG_1618_zps1f4f1f10.jpg

1 step closer to getting it running again,Got the carbs put back on.Man what a job even with the clamps on the manifold rubbers losened they fought me like a bitch.I even remembered to put the throttle cable on 1st.:thumbsup:So next I`ll work on putting the rubber crossover pipes back on.I thought for a moment about buying pods and putting those in place of the stock air boxes.Then I realised inorder to that I need to install my battery box in a different place.

Made her very very jealous... but to make amends I bought her a present in the way of a sexy new tail light to replace the plastic brick :wink2:

Attachments

• jealous.jpg
    jealous.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 213
Did some chopping on my battery box and made it removable from the top instead of having to wrestle out the side.Accidently cut a wire on my wiring harness.

Wheeled the bike so the exhausts will point out the door so I can start it up tomorrow.
It was warm and sunny (42F) and I drove over (in the car) to the Bellfountain coffee shop. A fair number of bikes were out. :(
I was showed up by a 65 yr. old on one of his 5 bikes - a Suzuki VF 650. He was from over 20 kms north. I was sorry I had chickened out. :mad:
Maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Putting mine together as we speak and using this site to reference some things. Also looking for the bolts for the rear tail light. I know I put them somewhere in the garage....

I cut, ground, welded, and ground some more. Soon will be paint, rear wheel spacers, extended side stand, longer chain, and sorting out the brake drum support brace.

I now have a "Yamahaki Maxima"! That is to say I am well into the process of fitting the entire rear suspension from a Kawasaki Ninja into my Maxim. She sits noticeably taller in the rear, which works for my legs, and feels good when my neighbour and I (200 lbs each) bounce it as hard as we can.

Progress comes in fits and spurts... :)

It went up to over 12 C (54 F) with hazy sunshine this aft. Went for a series of rides totalling over 50 miles (80 km).
Starting the bike took forever, I couldn't figure why. Way more than the puny motorcycle battery could take. I jumped it with a 12v car battery but didn't just crank it. I turned it over for the length of time it should take to start, then rested it. It took about 20 repeats of this before it finally fired.
I think maybe it needed to distribute oil throughout the internals first, as it turned over slowly for quite a few repeats. Then, as if there was suddenly less resistance, the rpms went up when cranked, and before long it started.
Once it started and was warmed up, it was totally normal again - ran perfectly and stopped and re-started several times without any difficulty.

I'd forgotten what 9,900 rpms :yikes: sound like! :thumbsup:

Polished header pipes, removed old paint/bondo from tank, mocked up bike to see how it looks. Yes that is a cardboard seatpan mockup.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 170
I cleaned out the turn signal switch box. It still sticks sometimes so when I have more time I plan to fully clean it. I also ordered an aftermarket tachometer cable today. I cannot wait for it to come in to have a fully functioning bike.

It was last night but i sanded the back rim and painted it sanded some of the tank and striped it. Sanded the motormounts and cleared them no color raw metal and new motor mount bolts.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

removed the front wheel bearings so when my new ones arrive I can start mocking up my dual disk system. many delays since I'm also cleaning/organizing/storing/packing up my 2nd bedroom/shop for the new baby due in June. Gotta get as much done as I can before then...

I hooked up the gas tank and fuel lines yesterday.Now I just need to see if it willfireup again.Wish somebody near me had a welder:banghead: or I had one so i can weld my pipes.

I ripped the motor out to change a leaking head gasket. Will do some cleaning up in the ports and maybe have a few tenths shaved of it while I'm at it.

8560857796_2b33b36d3f.jpg

Back