What did you do with your XS today?

Not inside my house. In my shop. But I almost live out there so maybe you're right in some way..

Made some spacers for the rear wheel. Painted the parts of the frame that have been welded, and the kick stand. Planned out where to mount the bracket for the drum brake support rod on the swingarm.

Today I took it to work, 20 minute ride

First time after I fixed it, and it only stalled once! :)

Modified an ABS utility trailer fender (to fit the Ninja swingarm) in an attempt to make a hugger fender. Painted various parts. Modified and installed the plastic rear fender liner.

I changed the front fork oil!

Also I drained the battery acid from my 4-week-old broken battery which I have to send back to the manufacturer, nasty stuff that acid.

Rode it into work today. Nice little Friday blast through the city...

I am LOVING the new progressive suspension!!! What a difference! I cant wait to drop in the brass swing-arm bushings and see how much that affects the ride :D

Didn't do much today! Got Little red out and polished her up a bit before zooming around. I always feel like a hooligan riding around town because I NEVER fail to let the whole neighborhood hear my exhaust. I threw a thread up with some pictures of her today if anyone wants to see!

Well it's March 23rd and I've only owned this bike during the cold weather months, so it's time to give her a spring tune up and get her ready for a road test. I've dialed in the idle circuit and synced the carbs. I think she's ready.
full

gonna replace my chain if I can find the specs somewhere. any clues ...
Depends on what model you have and if you have standard sprocket sizes.
For example, the xs 400 Seca has a 50 HDSS chain with 102 links if it's stock. I think that is a`530 chain (?).
For some reason, the Seca service manual provides this info but my Maxim one does not. While the Maxim has the exact same motor and frame, because it has a 5 speed instead of a 6 speed, it has different sprockets to give the same final drive ratio and may therefore need more links.
Similarly, different years and models of sohc xs400s sometimes used different sprocket sizes so definitely count the links on your old chain.

Depends on what model you have and if you have standard sprocket sizes.
For example, the xs 400 Seca has a 50 HDSS chain with 102 links if it's stock. I think that is a`530 chain (?).
For some reason, the Seca service manual provides this info but my Maxim one does not. While the Maxim has the exact same motor and frame, because it has a 5 speed instead of a 6 speed, it has different sprockets to give the same final drive ratio and may therefore need more links.
Similarly, different years and models of sohc xs400s sometimes used different sprocket sizes so definitely count the links on your old chain.

Thanks, Its a Maxim. vin begins with JYA, so does that mean when i see xs400J on the sites when I'm shopping that's my bike?

Some of the pages Ive been shopping on list 400maxim, some just xs400 and others xs400 with various letters behind. Dont know whats what.

Guelph, eh? Used to live in TO and Kitchener. Still have family living in Pushlich (sp?) Back in those days I had a '79 xs1100, miss that bike.

Thanks again for your reply.
M.C.

... Guelph, eh? Used to live in TO and Kitchener. Still have family living in Pushlich (sp?) Back in those days I had a '79 xs1100, miss that bike...
Bienvenue. I've heard of the xs1100 from some old timers. They get kind of misty-eyed.
PA huh? Have you joined the hunting party that's going out after Punxsutawney Phil? :gun:
The sooner you bag that damn lying rodent, the sooner we can ride our Maxims! :thumbsup:

Bienvenue. I've heard of the xs1100 from some old timers. They get kind of misty-eyed.
PA huh? Have you joined the hunting party that's going out after Punxsutawney Phil? :gun:
The sooner you bag that damn lying rodent, the sooner we can ride our Maxims! :thumbsup:

Misty eyed indeed.got that puppy up to 137mph going down and over the grand river bridge on the 401. Lucky I'm still alive, ahhh foolish youth.

did have my maxim out today until the clutch cable went out. May have to get serious on the tranny overhaul on the beemer and get that back on the road.

MC

Back