What did you do with your XS today?

Admiring results of several days sandpapering and buffing.

full

full

Beauty, now how do you finish that , so you don't have to bust out the polishing wheel in 2 to 3 months? Clear coat? Armor all? Never Dull?

Okay, drewpy was right, the Oil filter gasket was the leaking when I got back from the gym today. Very evident. then while using a paper towel to clean off the mating surface on the engine, a shard of aluminum got my finger. Still hurts. I think this is the first blood for this year on the bike!

So incidentally I have Changed oil, and filter. and check tomorrow for any more leaks!!!!

Finally sorted out that random 3-5k rpm bog problem that was driving me insane for last few months :banghead:
It turned out to be a bad solder connection on TID (pic of how it looked before) not the carb. Although carb rebuild was needed anyway.
Resoldered all connections and now the power is back and front wheel is even trying to leave ground :D

Anyway TID rebuild might be in order as this winter project. Haven't tested transistors and diodes yet, but old caps definitely need to be replaced.

Attachments

• P1000442.jpg
    P1000442.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 290
  • P1000451.jpg
    P1000451.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 278
  • P1000526.jpg
    P1000526.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 291
Beauty, now how do you finish that , so you don't have to bust out the polishing wheel in 2 to 3 months? Clear coat? Armor all? Never Dull?

This is my first success, so I'm also unsure how best to keep this finish except for reading some suggestions about giving it a good waxing.

Did an oil change all by my self! :D

Um. yeah. It was nasty. Not sure when this was last done or by whom, but wow. 4 liters came out. Almost filled my oil pan to the top. Thin, black, nasty, and lots of it.

:yikes: <- Pretty sure I looked like that!

Cracked her open to replace the kickstart and wiped her down. The gasket peeled off like wet cardboard (not sure if that was what it was or not, thought I could make out a coca cola symbol ).

Took it to my new job for the first time (started last Monday). Got asked if I was saving up for a new one. I know it doesn't look like much, but I couldn't help feeling a little insulted...

Took it to my new job for the first time (started last Monday). Got asked if I was saving up for a new one. I know it doesn't look like much, but I couldn't help feeling a little insulted...

:laugh:

I was on the red xs and the garage attendant thought they were still on sale till I pointed out it was 32 years old!

Just don't put 4 litres back in - up to the top of sight-glass only!

LOL! I didn't.

Today, replaced the gasket, put her back together all the way (except for a few missing cables on order) and tried to start her. Nothing.

Pulled the carbs. Looks like hubby and I are going to be spending the weekend carb cleaning. Yay me? Hubby's response: you've come this far, might as well do this too.

With all that extra oil in there before, any chance you forgot to put gas in? .. It's something I might (forget to) do ... :wink2:
Good luck with your weekend...

With all that extra oil in there before, any chance you forgot to put gas in? .. It's something I might (forget to) do ... :wink2:
Good luck with your weekend...

Hahahah! I can totally see me doing that!

That reminds me, I should get more gas.

Couldn't get the carbs off the brackets last night. not happy. :(

I was even all ready and organized to clean them.

Tried to do a gasket-less option on the stator/timing cover cause of leak, Failed. made a cereal box gasket with Cinnamon Toast crunch box. This time I coated both sides of the new gasket with Yamalube.

Check float levels. Try rising/lowering needle jet.
BTW, Here is a useful guide in carb tuning.

Also check ignition system :thumbsup:

Checked them today and they are in spec. I did find a super good cleaner today, I used omni au paint thinner and I could watch the varnish flow out of the many ports and passages in the carb. Will be happy to get them back on, now just need new exhaust pipes and she will be back on the road.:D

Kristina!!
Keep at it! You'll get it.
(was great to see the hubs today! Hope the starter works out!!):bike:

I learned how to do this! (hey - it's the little things.)

Back