What did you do with your XS today?

Yay Wester!

So close! So close! with her, she wants to start. There is life in there yet!

Hubbs had fun with the starter, I got to help pull the old one out before the kids needed to be fed. They are like the opposite of gremlins.

Tonight: put her back together. She was so ready to go.

pressed the starter, there was a sign of life. :)
pressed the starter again, little bit more sign of life :D
decide to kick it, kick it once. no start, but still signs of life. I am now excited.
FUEL LEAK. yup. fuel leak out the air boxes again :(

then this: Hubby says : :banghead: forgot to put the oil back in.
suppose I could ad that to the tell on me page ;)

I guess one can say hurray for fuel leaks.

pulled her most of the way apart again, put the new oil in (I swear only 2 liters) and will look at the floats again in the morning.

I cannot get the smell of motor oil and fuel off of me, guess I'll go have a beer.

Last edited:
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. but a fuel leak out the same carb.

I can't find the crying smiley so I guess we'll move right on to cursing :cussing::cussing::cussing:

That should cover today's bit of wtf.

After taking a break for some serious retail therapy (all my jeans have motor oil marks on them), I'm pulling the carbs and seeing what is going on.

Is the gas coming back out of the air filter? If so I would check and change the seals around the needle valve as the fuel can bypass and pour out the bowl breathers. Also check the seals between the carbs to make sure they are sealing.

I did nothing on my bike but wish I could work on it

Is the gas coming back out of the air filter? If so I would check and change the seals around the needle valve as the fuel can bypass and pour out the bowl breathers. Also check the seals between the carbs to make sure they are sealing.

Gas from the airfilter, yes. At the moment, she's not leaking. Even after attempting to kickstart no signs of leakage.

Thought I saw signs of life earlier.

Heading to bed. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh cup of coffee, maybe she'll fire up. If not, she's going to sit for a week as Hubbs and I are off to the Very Boring Rally in Duluth, MN. We'll see if we can get the two of us and our gear on back of his Seca. :shrug:

Worked on the 750s carbs while I had the tank off to convert the second petcock to manual. Got it back on to find it idling at at 4 grand. AAAHHHH. I've never had a problem with the 400's BS34s, it's a one kick bike and has no hesitation, the ones on the 750 haven't been quite right yet!
Also broke down and got mikesxs pods for it, since the triples carbs are so much harder to pull. It's actually impossible to put the airbox in until after the carbs are out, it's a half hour job to reinstall..

I have done nothing to her the last couple of days except filled the tank a couple of evenings ago.Just havent had the time to go ride as I have been working on the Jimmy project which is taking most of my energy.

Attachments

• red jimmy blazer.jpg
    red jimmy blazer.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 246
Moved my battery box over about a centimeter to clear the chain. Attached all cables. Took a quick ride through my condo complex. Found it wasn't sparking on the right side. Time to track down THAT missing link.

Well, it was yesterday actually, but I made a tool to remove the speedo drive from my drum brake hub. Then I had to drill out the very tip of a broken speedo cable from the gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 250
Have not touched her since Sunday. She sits sadly by while we get the 650 prepped for the rally. Hubbs made a luggage rack and sissy bar for it last night and is finishing it up today. It's going to be an awesome weekend, too bad we couldn't get my bike finished in time.

Got a big box to hold all the tools for the bikes in. My friend got a new one so he gave me his for free:D Love it!!

Attachments

• 0727131227.jpg
    0727131227.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 252
Tried to replace components in the TCI (ignition) module to get it reliable. And it is reliable - in that it doesn't work at all now. :( Going to buy a used module to get back on the road and play with this one when I have more time...

Back