What did you do with your XS today?

I bought an earlier model front fender, huge difference between the 2. The support between the forks, has dog ears, that look like its there to take the beating of actual road time. the 81 version, its obvious where the term cutting corners start. I will see if I can post pic tomorrow!

Been a long time since I've posted anything. I bought a 1980 650 Maxim tonight.

Still working on the 400g. She's backfiring out the carbs, so, since the carbs need to be cleaned anyways, I am going to trailer her up to a buddy's who has all the goodies to it up proper AND knows much more about carbs than I do. Hopefully we can get her running. Right now just waiting for a free weekend.

Will be ordering the new needles and other parts for her in the next couple of days then replacing the clutch cable and the front brake cable (hopefully this weekend).

Got in my new pod filters, 54mm as suggested in another thread by 16VTGIDave, they fit great (may need to use different clamps then what came with them, i cant get them all the way on with stock clamps.. )

Got in my crank case breather filter, some new River Road Twin Iron gloves and an Icon Alliance Dark helmet that was too small lol Helmet was shipped back and i ordered a new one which has already shipped so i am happy (happier when i get the refund for the first helmet though).

This weekend i hope to have the carbs back on and i will start cleaning all the electrical connections to see if i can get my neutral light and speedo/tach and headlight to work.. Its got to corrosion somewhere because my oil and turn signal lights turn on and from the diagrams they all seem to connect through the same plugs so its got to be a couple single wires somewhere not connecting.

cut the back end of the frame off, got the tires off and out for new tires and balancing (a sketchy maneuver with out a center stand and several PBRs)

Attachments

• cut 1.jpg
    cut 1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 213
  • cut 2.jpg
    cut 2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 229
I put my rear tire back on and hooked up the back brakes.Maybe tomorrow I have check adjustments I`ll take her for a spin.Im also quite happy with the sound of my new mufflers.

New tires on! 120/90 in the back just fits with out the chain guard. Really glad i stuck with 120 not 130! looks dope. 100/90 up front is a bit wider than Stock and could probably fit up to a 110 up there with no problem.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

integrated taillight/ new flasher are wired up and attached.

carbs came off for another clean and boil and to add parts that came in (choke spring and ball, and a new float pin)

Attachments

• tire 1.jpg
    tire 1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 218
  • Tire 2.jpg
    Tire 2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 228
Picked up an xs360 crank and rods with only 7k miles on them in perfect shape:bike:

Attachments

• DSC02089.jpg
    DSC02089.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC02090.jpg
    DSC02090.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 200
I will build a 400 with it at some point. The xs360 crank is 2lbs lighter than the 400 so more power:D

You won't get more power, but you will have less mass to accelerate. The engine will rev up and down much quicker. It will also be more prone to stalling when coming down to an idle, or when starting off. And it will vibrate more as well, simply due to the reduced mass.

Should make for an interesting ride!

You won't get more power, but you will have less mass to accelerate. The engine will rev up and down much quicker. It will also be more prone to stalling when coming down to an idle, or when starting off. And it will vibrate more as well, simply due to the reduced mass.

Should make for an interesting ride!

I know drewpy used it in one of his 400's with no issues and that a few guys on the german xs400 forum use them in their race bikes. :shrug:

I know drewpy used it in one of his 400's with no issues and that a few guys on the german xs400 forum use them in their race bikes. :shrug:

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just letting you know what to expect. I was shocked when I replaced a 20lb flywheel with an 8lb one on my car. Especially when I could break the tires loose by punching the throttle in 2nd gear at 3000 RPM... :D

Back on topic: Rode it like I stole it, and she begged for more!

Rode it in the rain. What I love about the rain is waiting at the traffic light, cloaked in a cloud of steam coming from the rain on the engine.. and then speeding off into the distance with a lot of noise :D

Back