What did you do with your XS today?

Thats what i got out of my brake fluid thread too Lou. Sadly my PO decided he would 'upgrade' the bike to DOT5.

3,4,5.1 are all essentially interchangeable, where DOT 5 is not because its silicone based where the others are not, and so it will not mix. I don't think there is a difference between fluid for bikes or cars, i think they use similar technology in braking just through a larger size and hooked up to a bunch of electronic gadgets.
Yeah, i read the dot4 vs dot5 thread but i was more interested in why motorcycle dot4 costs twice as much as car dot4. Anyway, I ended up getting bel ray super dot4. It should work a bit better than the miso soup that was pretending to be brake fluid.

... i was more interested in why motorcycle dot4 costs twice as much as car dot4 ...
Shorter packaging and labelling runs would be my guess.
That, plus the undeniable fact that there is a touch of that "Harley mentality" in all motorcycle owners (even in the ones with little money), which companies can resist cashing in on.

Just returned my Castrol oil in favor of the confirmed Shell Rotella 15w-40 with the JASO-MA rating.

I have already ordered and received an oil filter from xs650direct and plan on doing an oil change tonight and installing back in the battery box, and headlamp bucket with fresh paint. Following this, the bike SHOULD be running again, in better condition then when i obtained it (which is the goal!). Wish me luck, i'll be doing the first start in about 3 weeks. :S
(tank was drained and removed, and carbs removed and cleaned, so i shouldn't have to many issues)

Picked up some Permatex ultra copper and tried to tighten up some gaps in a craigslist aftermarket exhaust install. Will find out tomorrow if it is any quieter.

I wish i rode my 400 too :( I did get it to start up after nearly a month of being apart.

I still have some challenges ahead - Mostly electrical sadly.

Last edited:
Got another set of xs400 carbs today:laugh: Got them apart and going to clean and rebuild them this week. These will also be for sale:)

Attachments

• DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 265
I have not done much to it lately except lube the chain.Its an amazing turn around this year for me and my bike.Shes been ignored a lot.September is my favorite month to be out on the rivers fishing so that's what I have been doing.Filling my freezer full of walleye.

Attachments

• 100_2420.jpg
    100_2420.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 238
I said to myself that I need to finish ordering a new throttle and brake cable for it...

I also said to myself that I need to sync the carbs....

Mounted a phone size piece of Trex ( 4 - 8mm bolts under those 2 caps holding the handlebar on ), covered it with velcro. Put the smoother side of the velcro on the back of my phone and that baby wont come off unless you beg it. Also, mounted a 12V power outlet under the tank to power it. That outlet works as an easy connection for my new $6 Harbor Freight float charger. The free app in the picture is Ulysse, but the Google NAVI app is great and free too. Total cost - about $9.00 for the industrial strength velcro and longer bolts.

Attachments

• economy dashboard.jpg
    economy dashboard.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 270
Checking the speedo was my original inspiration for this project. When my bikes speedo read 50, I thought I was going warp speed. Unfortunately, my speedo is accurate - unless the 2 devices are conspiring against me... But I only have about 3 hours total riding time under my belt. Every time out is still a slightly terrifying adventure. There may still be a thing or two that more experience has yet to teach me.

Back