What did you do with your XS today?

Welded on battery bracket and splash guard/tray (under-tail battery!!).
Fabricated turn signal brackets for the rear and test fit the signals.
Cut the seat pan to accept the gas tank mounting bolt.

That's enough for one day :thumbsup:

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

This is my first winter with my bike, and when i put it away it was running (not well but running) i went to start it and got nothing... I pulled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning and plan to put then back on next week but i have one question:

Can it be TOO cold for on old bike to start ? The last time i tried to start it the weather way like 3C or 38F

This is my first winter with my bike, and when i put it away it was running (not well but running) i went to start it and got nothing... I pulled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning and plan to put then back on next week but i have one question:

Can it be TOO cold for on old bike to start ? The last time i tried to start it the weather way like 3C or 38F

May seem obvious, but is the battery charged?

Oh yeah, the battery has been on the tender all winter on trickle so its as good as its gonna get.

The bike has been sitting out in the unheated shed which is the same temp as the outside air...

I haven't tried to start it with the cleaned carbs (yes, i stabilized the fuel before storage), i was just curious if it being 'too cold' was a factor.

While i have people here - Is changing the ignition coils on a '79 as easy as unscrewing the old ones, unplugging the wires and screwing in new coils and reconnecting the wires? (like a 15 minutes job?)

I went shopping for bulbs, a battery, paint pens, 12 quarts of oil, and a battery tie-down.

I changed the oil and filter, cleaned the carbs, attached the seat cushion to the seat pan, did the electrical related to relocating the battery under the tail, fitted my turn signal brackets, put a new throttle cable on, tested everything out, and filmed two more videos!!

Time to eat something!

Oh yeah, the battery has been on the tender all winter on trickle so its as good as its gonna get.

The bike has been sitting out in the unheated shed which is the same temp as the outside air...

I haven't tried to start it with the cleaned carbs (yes, i stabilized the fuel before storage), i was just curious if it being 'too cold' was a factor.

While i have people here - Is changing the ignition coils on a '79 as easy as unscrewing the old ones, unplugging the wires and screwing in new coils and reconnecting the wires? (like a 15 minutes job?)

Changing coils is easy just like you said. Just do one at a time so not to hook the wrong side up and throw it off 180*:wink2:

I went shopping for bulbs, a battery, paint pens, 12 quarts of oil, and a battery tie-down.

I changed the oil and filter, cleaned the carbs, attached the seat cushion to the seat pan, did the electrical related to relocating the battery under the tail, fitted my turn signal brackets, put a new throttle cable on, tested everything out, and filmed two more videos!!

Time to eat something!

That sounds like about a week's worth of work. You'd better eat.

finished detailing a few more things on the 83 maxim, im pretty happy with it so far. Threw the tank and side covers back on it to see how its coming, going to be painting it soon. Metallic cherry red with gold two tone striping :)

Attachments

• photo 1 (8).jpg
    photo 1 (8).jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 229
  • photo 2 (7).jpg
    photo 2 (7).jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 219
  • photo 3 (4).jpg
    photo 3 (4).jpg
    289 KB · Views: 223
yea looks good :)

I went shopping today: new chain lube, blade type fuse box, rear axle locking pin, tank sealing epoxy, fuel filter and some heat shrink tubing. Going to be a nice fidgety day tomorrow with removing the rust and sealing the tank as well as installing the new fuse box and re-doing all half-assed electrical work I did in winter. It was just too cold outside for the solder to flow when I worked on it then

Not the XS, but I changed the oil and filters in 2 other bikes and put a new chain and sprockets on another. Break time!

Got tired of working on my fender and seat, so I decided to tackle the wiring harness. Removed or re-purposed wires, labeling everything as I went. Then wrapped the harness in heavy duty spiral wrap. That was annoying. Then I routed the entire harness through the frame. That was a source of frustration for almost 2 hours, but I think it will make it easier to make carb adjustments in the future without the harness in the way.

Now to make an under seat panel for all the electrical components and fuse panels - yes, plural! I'm installing a 4 fuse block that is direct to the battery, and a power relay that will then feed a 10 fuse block with everything on separate fuses. I want no worries that if I blow the flasher fuse I'll loose all my lights. Or something like that...

Back