What did you do with your XS today?

Hey, guys with new fuse boxes: is it necessary to use a covered box like the original?

Me, I went to a swap meet where I bought a smaller windshield and an original Yamaha workshop/parts manual combo. I'll post the workshop manual in the buy & sell here cuz I already have one.

Also entered a silent auction at the swap meet for a synthetic oil package and a lube package. I'm awaiting a call that I won. :D

Here's my scores:

13178955895_d73aa51aea.jpg

13178955805_dd307143d2.jpg

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have a cover on the fuse box to keep water and dirt out which could corrode connections.

Nice guys! might do my fusebox soon. Bought a speedometer from a local shop from an 01 Yamaha Virago V 535. Getting rid of that uugly plastic stock speedo tach set, swapping for a single speedo instead. Going to splice and create a custom box for the warning gauges tho! Will make a cardboard template then fab something up.

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 195
Actually trudged thru the snow drift to the shed yesterday. The bikes are calling for some attention. Do you think I would be tempting fate if I would take the little bike out for a ride in the snowy wonderland that is my neighborhood??

-Took my chain off and cleaned under that sprocket cover. Is it normal for the sprocket to have a tiny bit of play (slipping back and forth on the bolt.) only a couple mm's.

-Did my best to route excess length of stock control cables with drag bars. May end up having a few inches cut off yet, not quite as clean as I wanted.

-Hoping to order new front brake line. Planing on going with apexbrakes.com just not sure if I need 10mm or 12mm straight banjo fittings. Are they referring to diameter or length of the fitting? Also there is an option for a Holding Bracket, but I don't believe I need one - correct?

Installed my new blade fuse box :) Had to actually stick the bike halfway into my hallway since my soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough outside in the wind :laugh:

also de-rusted, dried, and sealed my fuel tank with some 2-component tank liner epoxy. Now it has to harden for 7 days, so no riding for me this week.. But hopefully I won't have to deal with a gunked up fuel filter every 700 km anymore after this :thumbsup:

I may have fixed one of the SECA's design flaws with the tank liner as well, the petcock doesn't sit in the lowest point of the tank so I didn't drain the excess epoxy stuff I just let it sit in the bottom of the tank to fill up the unused bottom part of the tank. Hopefully water won't collect in there over time anymore now :)

fingers crossed!

awesome stuff btw that tank liner epoxy, I was checking out what it did to my piece of wood which I used to stir the two components with, it's really quite hard stuff already after one day, and smooth as glass!

Bled the front brake and started tearing the carbs down. Is the retainer pin for the floats usually really sticky? I was trying to pull it out with needle-nose pliers but it didn't want to come. Nicks and scuffs all over the place suggest that these carbs have been rebuilt at least once with a certain lack of care and I'm concerned that the tip might be flared just enough to make removal really hard.

Use a punch or similar object to remove the float pin, just don't hit it too hard. It's normal for them to stick in lightly. I've never tried pulling them out before. Just push with a punch!

That...makes perfect sense and is obvious, which is precisely why I didn't think of it. I am a champ at picking the hardest solution and assuming it's the only one.

I am trying to connect my new rectifier. The PO had cut the red wire on the old one and coupled it together with the bike, so i figured the easiest was for me to do the same (its easier then re doing the stock connection.

So i bought a coupler and (dumb but) i can't figure out how to get the coupler to stay on the wire...

Its one of these
415B8d9lykL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I stripped my wire, slid it into the coupler and crimped it but it still slides off with any kind of tug. Its coated in a plastic shield so i don't think i can get in there and solider it.

What do you guys do ? Whats the proper way of connecting my red wire to this?

Thanks again!

Back