What did you do with your XS today?

Oh, dandy. There's a Shell a short ways from here.

EDIT: PureGas says that all the Shells in Edmonton offer zero-ethanol gas; is there any problem with running premium in our bikes? Does it require any timing adjustment or jetting changes?

Last edited:
http://pure-gas.org Is the best site i have found for finding good stations. Check it out!

Sorry, but like all user-input sites, the data there is very subjective because it's dependant on ppl seeing it and inputting accurate info.

Case in point: I know for a fact there are Shell stations in Winnipeg with ethanol-free fuel but there are none listed at the site you cite. I've been told all of them in Manitoba have the same fuel but I do not know that from personal experience.

Thanks for the link though, I did learn of other locations I was not aware of.

Unlike some companies who try to appear more "green" by being ambiguous about any gas without ethanol, SHELL takes a straight-forward approach and makes a virtue out of offering it for those who want it:

• people driving classic cars, or
  • expensive high-performance cars,
  • people not wanting to screw up their chain saws, outboard motors or marine engines, and last-but-not-least,
  • people driving old motorcycles.
Other companies will only "admit" to offering a non-ethanol product if you write to them. SHELL puts a big sticker on any pumps where the non-ethanol 91 is sold.
(N.B. - all of Shell's other grades (87 & 89) have between 5% and 10% ethanol)

Being a bit lazy today, well that's not anything new! But did push XS400 outfit out of garage and take a picture to use as my Avatar, does that count?

it sure does if you ask me, thats a nice avatar :)

Today I put my newly lined fuel tank back on. Strangely enough the petcock started leaking a little through the actual switch :wtf: so I took it off, had a bit of a fumble with it and put it back on; it was fixed. Some times these things are just a mystery to me.. :laugh:

Oh one tip for anyone lining his tank with epoxy in the future: make sure you clean out the fuel filling hole before the epoxy hardens, I didn't think of doing this and now my fuel cap is really tight. It'll get better over time I guess, but prevention is better than repairs..

Got rid of the stock dash panel, fabbed up a mount and put on a single chrome speedo on the 83 Maxim 400 :thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo 3 (6).jpg
    photo 3 (6).jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 232
  • photo 2 (11).jpg
    photo 2 (11).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 225
Cleaned my chain, dropped some sheet metal off at a friends to have a seat pan cut and bent out of it, adjusted my clutch and did a bit of cleaning. Topped the day off with putting summer tires on my wife's sister's car...Good times.

Next project is to build an electrics tray. Any pointers?

Next project is to build an electrics tray. Any pointers?

For things like that I start with cardboard and slowly trim and bend it to get the shape I want. Once you're done just trace it on the metal and do your cuts and bends. It's a slow process to match complex shapes, but it works! Just make sure your rectifier in general is getting lots of airflow.

Put the battery box back together and installed it in the bike. Shined up and lubed all the rubber bits and cable casings. Fitted one original header with new pipe onto the bike.

I don't know if this counts but I had to walk around it yesterday while I was in my makeshift garage to get to somethings on my other project.I did rub against it as I negotiating my way through the maze of junk there.:laugh:

I looked at mine as we'll. then I pulled plugs and looked at the overall condition. Seeing how it's a project bike that does not run I am inspecting everything. I did put taller shocks on. Going to make a cafe. Did notice that the kick start turns but does not turn the motor?

... I did rub against it as I negotiating my way through the maze of junk there ... :laugh:
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't slip on the permafrost and slide hard into it.
Yesterday, I looked in through the shed window .. and saw mine sitting there.
Does that count? :wtf:

I don't know if this counts but I had to walk around it yesterday while I was in my makeshift garage to get to somethings on my other project.I did rub against it as I negotiating my way through the maze of junk there.:laugh:

I took a look at mine, too. And then looked outside at the foot of snow on the ground and the streets that are white with salt. :( Only a few weeks left, right?

I did "work" on mine, with photoshop. I've been thinking about lowering the headlight and HUD, putting on new indicators, and possibly a new seat. The seat would include modding the rear fender and brake light. Also thinking about lower profile mirrors (maybe even bar ends...).

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Mod 1 (standard) (Small).jpg
    Mod 1 (standard) (Small).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 244
  • mod 2 (headlight) (Small).jpg
    mod 2 (headlight) (Small).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Mod 3 (seat) (Small).jpg
    Mod 3 (seat) (Small).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 235
Yeah, the third photo's a very trim profile. Also I found an eBay kit with clubmans and bar-end mirrors for $50+shipping, I can toss the link at you if you want. I'm debating between that and dropping the forks and adding clip-ons.

Back