What did you do with your XS today?

Tried syncing my carbs, ended up sucking a bunch of ATF into the intakes and fouling the plugs. Not enough fuel line in my manometer, I guess. Still needs a fair bit of tuning.

Got to enjoy the sidebag today! It was nice to be able to actually run errands on the bike. Now I need to get a big ol yamaha patch for it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 247
Tried syncing my carbs, ended up sucking a bunch of ATF into the intakes and fouling the plugs. Not enough fuel line in my manometer, I guess. Still needs a fair bit of tuning.

hehe, yup, been there, done that. a quick dry out of the spark plugs, you will be ready for the next attempt. (just the side that ate the oil.)

Yeah, I cleaned them up and she kicked over okay. It's slow to return to idle and will rev up to 5k and stay there with a touch of the throttle at intervals though. The slow idle suggests lean, based on what I've been reading, but it smells rich. Upjetted for UNI pods, stock exhaust. I think I reset the idle mixture screws to 3 turns out but I'm going to do it again to be sure and see how it sits, then try syncing again.

More engine building antics today. Bolts let it down a bit but that's the only ones I have for now. Will splash out on stainless ones some day.

On to the head and barrels next. :)

Attachments

• CIMG0447.jpg
    CIMG0447.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0448.jpg
    CIMG0448.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 235
  • CIMG0449.jpg
    CIMG0449.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 255
  • CIMG0450.jpg
    CIMG0450.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 232
Packed by bags for a day trip to visit some friends in another town. Start the bike, grab a handful of throttle, and the ball at the end of the throttle cable falls to the ground. A few weeks ago, I noticed it was a bit frayed and made a mental note to price out a new one. Just happy it happened in my driveway and not on the road!

Attachments

• IMG_20140622_163134.jpg
    IMG_20140622_163134.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 228
Rebuilt the petcock yesterday and took a little ride it drove ok. Took it out again today for about 12 miles Ran good but noticed the petcock was pulsing and a bubble in the gas line. Put the valve on prime the bubble went away. Vacuum line still connected. Any thoughts?? Also took apart the left switches found turn signal wires broken off of the slide switch. Wonder if I could use another type of assembly there with switches like the horn button?

Had my tires and chain/sprocket changed and my rear suspension jacked up by a bit over an inch on the Super Tenere.

Then I started figuring out my electrical gremlins. My dual headlights (one for hi/low beam, one for only low) were wired incorrectly which resulted in a permanent highbeam on both the settings of the switch. Managed to get it working, just with the switch flipped (high beam on switch = low beam, and vice versa). Cursed the PO.

Then tried to switch the flasher relay for a LED one (I have very quick flashing lights now) which didn't work. Tried adding an extra ground which helped on the xs400, but I just got nothing on the xtz750. Have to figure that out some other day.

Reattached my rear brake light sensor. Pretty decent score, 1.5 out of 3 problems fixed :shrug:

Finally got the tune to something resembling decent. Not good per se, but it idles steadily, no popping or surging, and it revs and returns to idle steadily if not exactly quickly.

Dropped the main jets in the 80 with the xs360 carbs from 140 to 135 and what a difference:bike: I knew it was a little fat on the top end but never addressed it. So I went to the stock size and now it screams.:)

Did an overdue spring cleaning on my carbs. Checked float heights and the like. Everything is clean and ready! Going to look for new hardware for the top casing as the original screws are getting pretty stripped.

Futzed with the tune again yesterday and decided I have to go down a size or two on the main jets. I sized up for pod filters but I'm going to try going back to the ones it came with and see if it leans it out enough.

Jar I need to address a similar issue with the throttle cable stopper also.Its twisted and wont fit into the socket on the plastic piece.Think Im going to take the whole cable off and see if untwist.

I spent the afternoon rerouting electrical compnents and got right hand side hand control put on the handle bars.I tried to started by kicking it over and by the estart which still doesn't work.If things couldn't get any worse I think my igniter unit is dead.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back