What did you do with your XS today?

Just ordered some rubber gaiters from fleabay. ($9 inc shipping) Coming from India, so probably wont see them until early 2017

Attachments

• gaiters.jpg
    gaiters.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 233
Those look identical to the ones I have on my bike and they came from India too. IF they are, the fit is decent but you have to stretch the bottom a bit to get it around the top of the outer tube.

PawBmP3.jpg

Note that I have my forks dropped about an inch too so the amount they're compressed here isn't perfectly representative of "normal" installation.

Yeah, those are exactly the ones I bought. So, the fit's good if not perfect. You won't be able to use the snap rings included, they're just too small for our forks, but the fit is snug enough that it shouldn't matter.

Progress, 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

The Starter button issues, solved!! it is corrosion. you have to take apart the button, and sandpaper/shine it up, attempt to clean the bottom where the the metal on metal connections are. (short story about the button) It worked, then I blew up the bike, yesterday, it wasn't showing life. today, after taking it apart, and getting it in backwards, it started running immediately. so I got it right the second time around. now its working like a champ. (new starter from one of you guys, Thanks!)

went out today, and got my new buffing wheels, and some more compound. and went to start on the long road of polishing all my engine cases. brought the bench outside, plugged in the bench grinder started one, with black emery, got about 5 mins in and it started raining............was not impressed. so put everything away, sat down in my shop with my son. and I had a beer. he had his juice. and we stared at the bike for an hour..........DARN RAIN!

:bike: Solved the No spark issue with my bike, (Pickup bolt came loose) Yea, first time driving up and down the streets of Hudson!! (since it died a year ago) with a fancy powder coat job, and new MAC 2:1 headers mufflers (black) and near future upgrade of the headlight!!!!!!

Attachments

• coil pickup.jpg
    coil pickup.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 226
Nice! Congrats, Tobie.

I fretted. I have been fretting. My bike's been in the shop (awaiting new tires) for close to two weeks now and I'm getting anxious to have it back.

HA! BOUGHT IT!!!

Just picked up a '78 XS 400-2E for $1450, runs quite well, rode it 35mi home, only issues I noticed were 1) clutch slipping in 5 and 6 gear when 'getting on it' and 2) I need to adjust the clutch cable as the friction point is presently way the heck out there - like almost all the way out (this almost certainly has something to do with the first issue). Seller indicated that he read on a forum (don't know which) that the clutch pushrod on this bike has been known to get pitted and could hang up thereby leading to potential slippage - don't know if this is true - given a wet-clutch system, I would imagine oil would be present along the entire length of the pushrod thereby all-but-eliminating the potential for such a problem but I'm just guessing. I have a great deal of work planned on this bike but very little time to do it in the immediate future as I begin a chemistry Ph.D. in two weeks.

First thing I want to change is the handlebars, into something more along the lines of: http://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/23047-dutch-xs400-2a2-caferacer/?p=135978
If someone has any info, it would be most appreciated.

- J

Welcome to the forum J. Start a new thread about your bike and we can help you out there with any questions when they come up.

Pushrod for the clutch slipping from pitting? Nah. Biggest issue we have with the pushrods are leaky seals. I would start with draining the oil, and putting in proper rated oil(grab son Rotella from Walmart). Adjust the clutch properly, and see if the issue is fixed. These clutches are very sensitive to the type of oil used and will slip if it's not correct. Also pull the left cover off and pull the pushrod, and give it a lookover. Make sure the ball bearing is there and make sure the rod is in one piece.

Congrats on the purchase!

Did a hone job on my cylinders today. Was about to buy a flexhone, but found one laying around at work that was the proper size. Free is better than $40 any day.

Also got the jugs and valve cover painted. Got a bit too humid out to reliably paint anything else, so it will have to wait til Sunday.

Worked on lightening some of the transmission gears at work during my lunch.

Slowly getting things done ;)

snail mail delivered my #45 pilots... put everything back together to complete the carb cleaning.

started right up! on one cylinder :shoot me: :bang head: and now its the other side! Nice blue Spark and compression is at 140-142 on each side... looks like I'm spending sunday in the garage again.. Gumout carbcleaner is 2-1 at advanced auto right now, good thing!:thumbsup::doh:

...this week is my anniversary of owning my xs! :bike:

Came back from Ithaca... bunch of packages in the mail:

letter with O-rings... took carbs off and replaced O-rings... found that one of the engine holders is cracked, need to weld it back... got engine of the bike... back hurts... need beer...

battery charger in another box... charged old battery, it took the charge - looks like battery is good!

box from mikexs: new air filters: installed...

letter from amazon: LED lamps, replaced most of them: stop lights, turn signals, license plate lights.

Still to do (beer is kicking in...): diodes from radioshack and LED blinker relay to complete LED conversion.

17 tooth sprocket is in the mail, should be here tomorrow.

If I can find someone to weld my frame tomorrow, Tuesday will be riding, can't wait...

Cheers!

Replaced the fuel line with some nice clear yellow Tygon fuel line and installed a new fuel filter. Re-packed the mufflers and adjusted jetting to suit: 127.5 mains, needles lowered 1 notch from stock, 40 Pilots. It amazes me how small a jetting this DOHC engine needs compared to the SOHC. Or the mufflers I have installed are more restrictive, despite their noise level, than one would think... :shrug: What ever works! :thumbsup:

Back