What did you do with your XS today?

I've been doing all the work on my bike at my friend's garage, which is inconvenient if I need a cold engine for whatever reason. Today I bought a 124 piece socket set on sale which includes about 80% of the tools I need for regular work on the bike and around the house. Since I had it I pulled the gas tank off and tweaked my idle air screws; it went from idling at 4k (gross) to a flat 1.5k just like that. Way snappier throttle response too. I also got new, smaller signal lights in the mail. The bulbs that came in them are kind of crap though so I'm going to get LEDs. One more thing on the winter project list.

Lev... remember the easy upgrade is the brake lights. when you start to do the turn signals, there is alot of threads on that.

Easy as in just put the bulb in. Done.

Came out of the grocery store to find my ignition DOA. A check of the fuses showed the ignition fuse toast. Fortunately there was a Radio Shack in sight. $2.65 later I was on the road with extra fuses in case it happens again. Wonder what caused it?

Tighten hopefully the last item that seems to be leaking!!!! (cross finger). (left side oil drain.)

Then my wife was trying to start her bike, (The family's only one, so far) didn't work right, so I took a look see, hoping to strutting my mechanical ability, then I broke the wire soldered to the button circuit. :)doh:) So she took it for a ride tonight!

Found a guy on Kijiji selling a TX500 petcock for $35, and my petcock leaks. I was planning to buy a rebuild kit but it would be more than that with shipping. The only issue is it's a right-side petcock and the fuel line nipple would be pointed toward the head. Would it work to put in a 90 degree bend, or just run the line off the petcock and down to the carb? My concern is that there would be too much heat coming off the head.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8033

That should be a good starting spot, of course post 21 & 22, have some awesome links for our petcock,(not bike specific) with pics, and issues. Then I think I had an excellent tip for our systems. (Bragging :D) My solution is still working, and I have just checked it again a couple days ago. The Maxim link, did go indepth.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...R&pf_rd_r=19XDD2ZC9EV7N7AB7CJD#productDetails
Price: $16.99 + $4.72 shipping
21.71 total price from amazon.

Thanks! I might well try that first, save myself the money. It's almost certain based on what JARichmond wrote that the o-ring sealing the vacuum valve has failed (or is absent, gas just pours out at an alarming rate if I forget to clamp the lines when I pull my tank off).

The solution I was proposing was to double up on the oring, put a smaller o-ring, that pushes the bigger one to the mating surface. The Maxim web link was showing the inconsistencies with the petcock. With the spring pushing the diaphragm out like that, the double o-ring will mate up, with enough pressure, so that it works right. With the original oring absent from the market, the original was a wedge shape one, that was hollow, so when that was pressed up against the mating surface, it was guaranteed to seal off the fuel from free flowing.

Got another nice "offroad" ride (still don't have registering plates :banghead: ). 60km after rebuild already :bike:

s1024

New fork oil: 9 ounces of Honda 10 in each side. The old oil was a few years old (oops) and it came out BLACK, I was shocked how bad it looked.

It took the help of my wife to get the spring retainers out: While I held them down, my wife coaxed out the circlips. I don't see how anyone could get that done by themselves.

The bike feels better on the road: Much firmer but not stiff or rigid. Braking feels more controlled. Wish I didn't have to wait til next season for my new tires.... but I do.

GTIDave, thanks for your encouragement.

billday: I did my fork oil myself by using a big C-shaped vise grip to clamp the springs down. It was a huge hassle and doing it with two people makes way more sense.

Hi all. My first post on the forum. Bought a 78 a few days ago and just getting to know it. So far I love the ride. Just had to fix the wiring on one of the rear signals today but everything looks decent overall. Job for tomorrow is to look at a bit of a high idle issue. Bike starts great and runs well but I noticed after riding for about 30 min and coming to a stop the idle was sitting at around 3k and wouldn't drop down. Any suggestions are welcome

Just got back from what felt like half an hour and was apparently actually an hour and a half of riding. It's just the right temperature for comfortable cruising right now, although that won't last much longer once the cold sets in. Bike's running great and I'm proud to say I did it almost entirely on my own. Here's to four more weeks of good riding weather!

Darkmidnight - No I haven't taken the carbs apart. Not sure if it is something that I want to get into right now mainly because it would be the first time I've done it and I'm not sure what I would be getting into. We've only got about 6 weeks of good riding weather in my area and I don't want the bike to be out of operation for too long. So maybe is there a way to give the carbs a decent cleaning without taking them apart?

Back