What did you do with your XS today?

Took Intake boots off, found out the gasket was bad there, where it was blowing on my leg, replaced, it, waiting till 19:00 (7pm) for it to cure 24 hours. before I test it.

Crossing fingers!

Took Intake boots off, found out the gasket was bad there, where it was blowing on my leg, replaced, it, waiting till 19:00 (7pm) for it to cure 24 hours. before I test it.

Crossing fingers!

Cure? There should only be a gasket between the head and the boot:confused:

.... So maybe is there a way to give the carbs a decent cleaning without taking them apart?
Now, I don't want all the members coming down on me for sharing this with you, and I do only that (share it with you), since I cannot vouch for it to the extent this guy does.
I have used maintenance doses on occasion and, subjectively, I think it helps. Though, I'll be the first to admit that it could easily be the placebo affect playing tricks on my mind. And, I have never tried the "Soft" or the "Hard" treatments he advocates.

However, if you want to burn a $10 bill and maybe be one of the lucky ones who will end up swearing by the stuff & the technique, here is a quote:
"The HARD treatment is an aggressive method of clearing stubborn carburetor congestion. This is something you might try if your carburetor problems are more pronounced but you just don't want to remove the carbs to do the job right."
And here is the link to his whole story:Just remember the famous quote from one of our illustrious alumns, ThePsuedoMonkey:
"Guys, how do you use this stuff (Seafoam)?" - 'What does it say on the can?' - "It says not to drink it."

I did nothing but look at her and finally came to a decision that I will put it for sale. Mixed emotions but Household 6 says that I have to make room in the garage :(

Cure? There should only be a gasket between the head and the boot:confused:

I went against the forum, The last gasket was dry, and it had issues, So I put a little gasket materiel in there. (I am such a bad owner ;) )

Seems I am down to two Items to look into, new rear brakes, and Clicking noise in head. (motorcycle head):doh:

Went to work on the garden tractor. Moved cars out put the tractor up on ramps looked at the side of the garage & decided. Screw it That little bike looks lonely just sitting there. Took it out for a little ride to a friends and we took our bikes around for a ride. He on his 1500 Suzuki and me on my XS400. Following me he said I tossed a LOT of black smoke when I got on it. I hammered on it & noticed a sputter when it closed in on the red line. I figure it must have something to do with the sooty plugs I didn't change after I changed the needle settings leaner.

Removed the rear shocks. Realized that the 2-1 muffler is too close to the right side lower shock mount for me to get longer shocks without either replacing the exhaust or modifying it.

Measured up my tail loop to be bent up by a mate. Have also made a deal on a 1970 Honda SL350k0, going halves with a mate, hoping to do a mild resto on it just to get it running, hasnt been on the road since 1978 and comes with a tonne of spares as well as a titled cb250n in parts. So keen to get started on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-08-17-43-14-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-08-17-43-14-1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 294
hurt my back:(, so day off work, did manage to do some work on carbs and found out i have 81 carbs on my 79 XS :confused:
the reason i have come to this conclusion is the float chamber screw being on the side , so the diaphragm top screws that i want to replace are obsolete :yikes: according to partzilla.

Today I did nothing because we got our first snow of the season. It'll be gone by the weekend but summer is well and truly over. Last night I pulled my camshaft plugs again and resealed them; I've run Ultra Copper around them once already but the engine was hot and I ran it after letting it cure for only about half an hour and the leak's persisted. I'm hoping that adding sealant with the engine cold and letting it cure for at least a full day will finally kill the damned leak. Might be more than a day if this weather keeps up :(

This is my first post. I have been riding the bike after the new exhaust but haven't been happy with the low end or throttle response. An older friend told me to change the needle clip position or add washers. I thought I'd give it a shot. For less than $2 the bike is running much better. I simply added two tiny washers between the 'E' clip and the plastic spacer.

Attachments

• My XS-5.jpg
    My XS-5.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 276
  • XS400 Carb Parts.jpg
    XS400 Carb Parts.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 265
Looks great! :thumbsup:

Hooked the petcock up to the carbs with an in-line filter.
Cleaned up the fuse holders and finally got the starter motor to turn over.
Got a few hopeful pops out of the engine but no start yet.

Back