What did you do with your XS today?

Christmas came early at my house today:):D 76xs360 front disc wheel. I even had another xv920 disc for it:laugh: Not sure what I will do with it tho. Its heavier and wider than the 75 rd250 wheel that is on my 80 so it wont benefit there at all. I will just save it for another bike :bike:

Last edited:
Picked up some magnetic oil plugs for the bikes today.

Attachments

• DSC02791.jpg
    DSC02791.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 252
Today I reconnected the throttle and clutch cables to the new controls and put a couple coats of self-etching primer on the headlight bucket and ring.

My Shinko 712s tires should arrive today, which means i need to hurry up and need to finish powder coating the rest of the wheel parts. :)

For the first time I rode it with the fuel lever facing towards ON. Previously had been running on prime. Also checked revs in 3rd. Did 9500 with no problems. Will check again in 5th after velocity stacks made and installed. Tach cable or unit is making ugly srawching sounds.

Unkle Crusty*

Hello there. This is my first post and I have no idea if I'm putting it in the right place. I saw the 'What did you do with your XS today?' thread and as I've just loaded mine into a van so it can be taken away for repairs, it seemed like a good place.

Been riding bikes for 34 years and currently own 3 including the XS400 US Special. I've got a '99 FireBlade (not sure if they called it that in the US - it's a CBR900RR) and a '94 RVF400. Both great bikes in very good nick. Decided I wanted a street-tracker style machine and went for the XS, with the intention of attempting the build myself.

It was imported from the US in 2012 and as the climate is kinder to chrome and alloy than ours (especially here in rainy Manchester) it's very shiny. Unfortunately the electric start is knackered (click, click,whirr,whirr) so it's going to a man who knows about these things.

Speaking of such men, I've had help from Drew(py). He lives nearby and kindly came to take a look and offer advice. That man is a wealth of knowledge.

Bought some bits, including seat, bars, and lobster-back end can, but that's on hold 'til the bike comes back, probably after Christmas. If anyone in the UK knows where I can find a Motad 2-1 pipe let me know (Drew, tried that link you posted but they don't have them now). And why is postage from the US so bloody expensive? If anyone over there is thinking of visiting blighty then can I give you a shopping list of XS bits?
That's it for now. Cheers and have a Merry Christmas

slWyhRb.jpg

o3s7uIF.jpg

Today I started working on my tank. Bondo'd the badge mounts and a largish ding on the right side and got to the sanding stage on the left. There are some little divots in the sanded surface that need filling but overall it's pretty good. Hoping some high-build primer will smooth the transition between Bondo and metal. When I sand it fine enough for a smooth transition, it begins to chip a little and leaves a very, very fine lip.

Been riding and getting to know my machine. I've learned to tell when it's time to switch to the reserve setting :)

Ordering a new clutch lever and fork seals today. Going to replace the fork oil - the last of the fluid to replace.

Going to shop for replacement turn signals too.

Took apart the muffler for the first time on the 80. Found that the glass pack was toast:laugh: I guess I expected that from an exhaust that was made in the 70's. I used some steel wool to re-pack it. It should work a lot better than how it was before. I also replaced the homemade p-clamp for the muffler with a aluminum bracket witch looks much better.

Attachments

• DSC02796.jpg
    DSC02796.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC02797.jpg
    DSC02797.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02798.jpg
    DSC02798.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 258
Changed the main jets from 125 to 127. Made short stacks for the carburetors, from a piece of 55 mm OD radiator hose.
Found out I need to switch to reserve at 220 km. And the petcock actually worked.
Will check for revs in 5 th next week.

Unkle Crusty*

Made a aluminum battery strap for the 80.

Attachments

• DSC02801.jpg
    DSC02801.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC02802.jpg
    DSC02802.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 237
The gasket set I ordered from the guy in Vancouver BC arrived today. I developed an oil leak over the past summer.
The bike is already in the basement waiting for some attention.

lPItZaX.png

Today I got the first two coats of colour on my headlight bucket and trim ring, and the first coat of filler primer on the tank. Unfortunately, the primer has shown me how shoddy my Bondo work is. I guess I get to sand this coat back a bit and keep at the filler for a while yet.

Back