What did you do with your XS today?

My friend took the engine to his shop today and welded some huge nuts onto the oil filter bolt and drain plug. I got the engine back in the bike and the new bolt and plug installed. Also put some more clear on the tank and more primer on the fender.

Changed HT wires and plug caps. This easy operation turned into jumping around bike and swearing like sailor (DOHC folks will understand) :laugh:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 238
Test-fitted the GS header with the collars and nuts; I think I'm going to need another exhaust gasket, maybe two, per side to get it seated correctly. Currently the nuts are all the way down the studs and the flanges are snug but the collars are still pretty loose. Everything else fits well though. Also got another coat of clear on the tank and the first coat of colour on the front fender, and built up my seatpan armature a bit more. I decided to bring the front edge forward and possibly mould some "ears" onto the skirts to blend the lines with the tank a little more.

7pF6buX.png

Today I designed the web interface for my tablet-based dashboard. The dials are static images, but the needles and odometer are computed DOM objects and can be modified with Javascript. The needles orbit around the dials' midpoints and can be set by a script; once I have the actual tablet in hand I'll be able to set the speedo value with its GPS. The tach will take input from this circuit, passed to an Arduino that will convert the signal spikes to something sensible to a web browser.

Tried to start mine today only to discover a leaky petcock, finger tight spark plugs, and blown head gasket.:banghead:

My bad for showing up at someone's garage at 8p.m. to hear it run, pay the man and load it up. Bought it to replace the engine in my dad's bike, but he doesn't want that anymore. So fell in love with the idea of making it somewhat like Volcomskater's (always wanted to do this to a 400) even though it has no title.

Moral of the story: spend some more time with your future purchase and think twice when someone immediately accepts a low ball offer via email.

Although it doesn't bother me too bad, i hope you all had a better day than me.

Rebuilt another set of carbs. All aluminum brackets and bolts. Going to run them on the 80 for a while come spring. They should tune better than the other 80-82 carbs I had on it a few years ago, now with uni's. These are also just over 2lbs lighter than the xs360 carbs that where on it. I love how easy the xs360's are to tune but if I can get these to work as well I will keep them on.

Attachments

• DSC02867.jpg
    DSC02867.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC02868.jpg
    DSC02868.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 242
Mounted new contact breakers on the timing plate. Bought all-new screws for the plates too. Just slot screws and regular washers but it should work all-right.
Double checking the timing and gaps today.

Going over anything that might get the bike running short of boring to 1st oversize pistons & rings....

Edit: Took off my generator cover. Half a tank of gas came out of the crankcase. Petcock was accidentally left to PRI for a week in december. Hadn't checked the bike since. :(
Pretty sure the needle valve is in good condition but floats might have been a bit low.

Last edited:
SHE RUNS!

Completely drained the crankcase of gas and oil.
Filled up with new oil.
Rechecked the timing and points gaps with the new set of points.
Tweaked the spark plug gaps.

Tried starting it until the battery needed a charge.

On a whim I rotated the ATU cam before trying with a charged battery. I think I saw drewpy recommend it once before. Could have sworn I tried it multiple times both ways last summer.

She started up first try.

Needs some fine tuning and a proper carb sync, but she sounds great. :thumbsup:

Well done BBS.
I was in Vic for the Stupor Bowl game on the XS11. Quick in on Sunday morning and out early Monday morning. 140 miles mostly in the rain. plugs fouled on the big bike.

Unkle Crusty*

ijwGjl7.jpg

I chopped the signal ears off the end of my bike today, got some more painting done, and finished the seatpan buck. The paint on the fender is coming out visibly smoother than the paint on the tank, unfortunately, and I suspect the difference is that I took an orbital sander with 80 grit to it before I started. Live and learn, I suppose.

The past few weekends have been almost warm enough to go for a ride. Makes a guy think of spring & those fun short little rides around the area. Almost lit it up last weekend but someone forgot to get the battery on the trickle. This weekend Much different temps in the low singles wind chills well below & wind to blow the hair off your helmet.:yikes::doh::banghead:

Thanks guys. Adjusted the static timing today. Had trouble getting the plate rotated far enough to break contact at the LF mark. Much easier after setting the points gaps (again).
Worried that one of the screws holding down the right cylinder points is stripping its threads.

Only firing on the left cylinder. Right muffler is puffing out a fine white mist of gasoline
Left cylinder plug pretty sooty.
Right plug black and wet with gas.

She idles around 1500 on the one cylinder.
Mixture screws have no affect on rpm at all. All the way in, all the way out, no change.
I'm thinking the idle circuit in the carbs must be plugged.

Back