What did you do with your XS today?

Drained the oil and removed my forks. Looking into Minton Mods for the dampers. & maybe spacers.
Rather than heavier oil, it sounds like I should be putting lighter oil in. Spec calls for 20 weight. Not sure yet if I should go 15 or 10 weight. Gotta do more reading.

This thread almost got onto the third page!

Scraped off the stuck gasket bits between, crankcase, cylinder jugs, head, and valve cover.

Test-fit the pistons with the old rings in the cylinders. Couldn't make the piston rock back and forth at all so I'm feeling better about putting the old rings back in.

Also secured a rare-earth magnet to the oil-drain plug. Kinda gimmicky but I already had the magnet.

First weekend since early Nov with 40+ degree weather. Saw a few bikes out and a guy in town driving a vintage King Midget. Gave me the wannas. So I got the battery hooked up & got the bike running then looked at that muddy icky driveway. decided to check oils filters and tranny fluid in the cars instead. For any one scratching their heads. A King Midget is a tiny car built in the early 50's I think. They used a small industrial engine and had a pull start. This one has a large Briggs and full electrical. Look them up their kinda cute in an ugly sort of way.

Waiting for my Counteract Balance Beads to ship...They were supposed to ship two weeks ago, but I guess they had a back order and I got shafted.

I want to put my wheels back on and fire her up for the first time this spring. I have all my license tests booked in the next 2 months, I can't wait to get this season rolling.

Got my order from Cycle Terminals. Super fast shipping and great quality items.

Rewiring my stator this week.

I Drove my bike!!!! I didn't do any of the additives, just clean ethanol free fuel, It had a smell like varnished gas, let it warm up, She was running just as good as it was when I put her to sleep last season. My wife doesn't like the popping on deceleration. (small backfires when slowing down, engine braking,)

The one carb guides, states"
- Popping from the exhaust on deceleration usually indicates leaness in the pilot circuit.
A larger pilot or richer setting on the mix screws (sometimes both) is the usual cure"
So I will look into that tomorrow

Keep in mind that a rich idle mixture and an exhaust leak can also cause popping on deceleration. Usually this popping has a deeper tone, almost a "boom" from the exhaust.

My XS11 back fires and it is not running lean, more like a bit rich. Have not had time to check the main jets, but did drop the needles one notch. Bike runs real sweet.

Unkle Crusty*

Changed the oil and brake fluid but stripped the bleeder screw threads on my front caliper. Looks like there'll be no riding for me any time soon :(
Also ordered a new tachometer because my stock one "noped the-fuck out"

" This weekend I will go to the garage, remove and disassemble carbs, then thoroughly clean and rejet them for 2-1."

-Me the past 4 weeks.:doh:

Installed a new front tire. Bridgestone TW-39 90/100-19 with a heavy duty tube and Dyna-Beads. That's one sexy looking DS tire, let me tell you! ;)

Serviced the front brake. Will need new pads in a couple months, so I ordered another set of EBC pads. Removed the rear tire in the hopes that my new tire will be delivered tomorrow. All in preparation of riding to Port Dover, Ontario for Friday the 13th. Because I want to. :)

Hopefully a TW-40 120/90-16. I've had it on order since early Feb. It keeps vanishing from the warehouse and the shipping date pushed 2 weeks out. Trying a different supplier this time.

Sesty, you sure you need to go re-jet? I just did MAC 2n1 muffler last year, and I am all stock beyond the exhaust port, (and though the other side too)

I just looked at my plug's, and they are both White, ashy, so I will need to richen up the pilot screws. White is too hot. that might solve my popping on de-accelleration

I still have 2 leaks, one from under the timing cover, and one under the drive sprocket cover. and a want to replace the butterfly orings

Back