What did you do with your XS today?

Adjusted valve gaps, cleaned and adjusted points, installed new battery, checked all lights and switches. Small steps to getting it running.

Also figured out that one pilot screw is broken, and my new front brake lever+master cylinder is probably faulty, its leaking air inside somewhere probably.

Going to try again to look at that XS400 in St Cloud tomorrow. After I get what I need I may part it out for reasonable prices. As for now the carbs tank seat front fender headlight and miscellaneous electricals are spoken for I think it's got a good buildable core engine and a strait frame with fork. I'll know more if it's worth the asking tomorrow and post what's available soon after.

Brought the bike home tonight. It's a reasonable build but has it's issues. Like we've all had issues with fuse box & jerry rigged wiring. Also the carbs need work by the bluing on the left head pipe. May have been ridden with out air filters for a while and some vermin had taken up house keeping in the battery box & tool box. The good thing is it has fairly good compression go's thru the gears easy tires look to be good and the brakes front & rear feel ok. Will try to post a few pics soon

trucked the xs over to my new house since im still in a sling :/ plan to change gas and oil and a run through of the carbs. I am still a few weeks out from being able to ride. Getting the carbs on and off one handed will be a feat.

New site looks good..People should have an easier time figuring out how to add images. I gotta get used to it.
change-south-park.jpg

Yesterday: took EVERYTHING off the frame except center stand and triple tree.
Today: found out that the government doesn't require an inspection to import a bike from another province but DOES require it to be "complete."
The frame with the VIN is not enough.

Will be reassembling everything to make the bike look "complete."

Stripped the seat cover from the donor seat yesterday. HOLY CRAP does that foam stink!! It appears that the cover has a small tear in it & since it was parked outside a while. Any ideas how to get rid of Mold & Mildew and protect the seat foam better before I get this new cover on?? I was thinking of soaking it in bleach for a day then spraying it with a mildecide & bagging it before it's recovered. Any thoughts???

Been gathering things for the new to me carbs. Today I got the Jet kit from 6Sigma and also ordered a complete rebuild kit for them. I also started working on installing the new seat cover. The bleach along with the peroxide seems to have done the trick with the fungus stained stinky seat foam. Thanks Dave for suggesting Peroxide. I still think I'll wipe a thin layer of silicone sealer on the foam to help it not soak up with water. Any thoughts about this will be helpful. Also going to start working on the military theme with debadgeing the good tank so I can paint it Olive drab and order the WW2 nose art decals. I've decided that It'd have to be something more "G" or at best "PG" rated since It will be seen by children. Any other Idea's for the build will be appreciated.

Has anyone tried to use the 16" rear rim on the front of their bike?? I know I'll have to re lace the rim to a front brake drum. I think this would look better on my bike since I'm going to use a military theme for this build. It shouldn't alter the speedometer too much if the tires are close to the same OD. I know there has been some who used an 18" on the rear but I think a fatter taller side wall would make a statement along with being able to use matching tread pattern tires on both ends. Also has anyone been successful with painting some of the chrome? I also want to get rid of most of the chrome on the bike.

I got the XS running and idling steady for the first time since I parked it last night. Needs tuning because I pulled the carbs apart for cleaning, but she kicks over and idles.

Hello all,
I am replacing both sprockets and putting on a new chain on my 1983 Maxim. As you can see the rear one is pretty worn out. Does anyone know the torque specs? Or can point me to a link? Thanks. [emoji2]

uploadfromtaptalk1459549255781.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459549263707.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459549269031.jpg

Ventured out to Llano today for some damn good BBQ. All the bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes are out in full bloom and the hill country scenery was a good escape that I needed from the busy city life. Moved that bike up and down the rev range and it did great. I installed a Spitfire S-06 windscreen on the bike yesterday and it makes a world of difference! It keeps most of the bugs off me and I can tuck behind it real easy under high speeds. :bike:

I spent the last 3 days trying to get my bike to fire on both cylinders and finally had success today, the issue was the connector from the ignitor module, oh also I put on a new seat, that took me 2 days as well - it's this one - http://r.ebay.com/4SpmBN - it looks pretty good on, I'll post photos after I wash my bike. In all my troubleshooting efforts I did manage to rebuild my carbs twice and put a new unrusted starter motor cover on also I now know a little more about my bike than I did before, I'll be installing these clipons next - http://r.ebay.com/hXi0kY

Back