What did you do with your XS today?

Ordered new jets, float valves, fuel filters, and grips from JetsRUs.
The old jets were grubby and some were damaged being removed. Got new stock pilots, mains, and air jets plus 1 up pilots and 2 up mains just in case.

Between shipping and Canadian exchange the price was up there. Might try local next time...

I bought this rusted, seized up '79 last fall for $200, I've been waiting for parts for another project so I figured I'd get started on this one, pulled off the exhausts, valve cover, sprocket cover, starter motor cover and motor mounts with only one broken bolt (exhaust) - I can't wait to open it up and un-seize it, very close now, the engine's is sitting on my basement floor

Attachments

• IMG_20160404_151513665-web.jpg
    IMG_20160404_151513665-web.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 342
Just got most of my parts sorted out for the carbs. The kits I ordered from Ebay arrived today & they're the most complete kit's I've seen so far. I've never seen many kits that include the adjuster needles complete with springs & seals. They even included a pair of alternate jets for convenience. Along with those I got from 6sigma I should be set. Next thing is to clean & line the new gas tank. Anyone have a hint for me on what to expect?? It's a kit from Summit Raceing by KBS Coatings their Gold Standard Tank Sealer.

[emoji39]I went out in the garage and looked at mine.... does that count for anything?
Big D- [emoji41]

In most situations I would be an outcast ... here I am merely normal ...

[emoji39]I went out in the garage and looked at mine.... does that count for anything?
Big D- [emoji41]

In most situations I would be an outcast ... here I am merely normal ...
Normal??? Really when you think of It we are a group of people with a penchant for a particular 2 wheeled air cooled finicky Japanese mechanical device. If anything the only thing normal here is that we are All discussing the quirks pops rattles flashes & other things that go bump on the road with our chosen vice. And since there's no decisive definition of normal I guess this is what could pass as normal for this site. Sorry that semi abnormal smartass alter ego Pauly grabbed my key board.:shrug:

What i did? Nothing!! I was gynna ride a bit today but its a weird weather here today. Sunny cold and Rain every ten minutes! Wish i lived in spain so i could ride all year around!
(but i am happy) i got to work on some other bikes that needed The attention.

Normal??? Really when you think of It we are a group of people with a penchant for a particular 2 wheeled air cooled finicky Japanese mechanical device. If anything the only thing normal here is that we are All discussing the quirks pops rattles flashes & other things that go bump on the road with our chosen vice. And since there's no decisive definition of normal I guess this is what could pass as normal for this site. Sorry that semi abnormal smartass alter ego Pauly grabbed my key board.:shrug:

...... and here I am not the outcast.... I ride a Harley too, so if I start talking about Japanese two wheeled single tracking devices to that crowd ..... I would be ..... cast out! Japanese motorcycles are my hidden obsession...... but, I have been "into" ALL motorcycles since I started wrenching and riding at age 13...... and that was a long, long time ago....... Big D-

What i did? Nothing!! I was gynna ride a bit today but its a weird weather here today. Sunny cold and Rain every ten minutes! Wish i lived in spain so i could ride all year around!
(but i am happy) i got to work on some other bikes that needed The attention.

Sounds like our weather in Ohio..... 70 degrees (F) two weeks ago, 40's (F) with rain last week and 28 (F) degrees with snow today.... I have way too many bikes to work on, but someone stole my spaceheater..... sigh-h-h-h..... Big D

I bought my 1980 XS 400! Well, yesterday to be exact. It's my first bike and I have a lot to learn, so I'm sure y'all will be seeing me pop up with endless questions everywhere on these forums.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a long (and expensive) journey. Looking for some carbs for her but haven't had much luck yet on CL, eBay, or the shops around me. Any pointers?

I bought my 1980 XS 400! Well, yesterday to be exact. It's my first bike and I have a lot to learn, so I'm sure y'all will be seeing me pop up with endless questions everywhere on these forums.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a long (and expensive) journey. Looking for some carbs for her but haven't had much luck yet on CL, eBay, or the shops around me. Any pointers?
Welcome to our little corner of the web!! Let me be the first to offer my condolences on your recently discovered addiction. If you have a set of carbs for your bike don't be afraid to rebuild them. They're not too hard to do with patience a keen eye for grime & the informative helpful members you'll find here. Just be sure that you'll be told as I will tell you search the forum for the info first. If there's something you don't understand ask & you'll find any one of us to be more than willing to explain & if you're lucky even harass you a bit in the process. Also a number of us have donor bikes for that long lost whatchamacallit if you need one.

Well, been working on it for a while but just finished my new Ralley Green paint job, modifying my rear fender and adding a triumph style taillight, fabricating a flat brat seat with green diamond stitching, and painting my engine... Whew... Was a bit more that I was plannin on, but I love the results.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 345
Welcome to our little corner of the web!! Let me be the first to offer my condolences on your recently discovered addiction. If you have a set of carbs for your bike don't be afraid to rebuild them. They're not too hard to do with patience a keen eye for grime & the informative helpful members you'll find here. Just be sure that you'll be told as I will tell you search the forum for the info first. If there's something you don't understand ask & you'll find any one of us to be more than willing to explain & if you're lucky even harass you a bit in the process. Also a number of us have donor bikes for that long lost whatchamacallit if you need one.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it all. Especially the harassment :)

Have a '79 xs400 that I've stripped down and rebuilt.

Fixed a turn signal issue that was nagging me (turns out the right front turn signal was plugged into the wrong group of wiring).
Also got a new front brake switch in, so will be replacing that shortly.

Tried starting her up, but she wont hold an idle after doing a thorough carb cleaning. So that'll be another day!

Went to a local shop to see about valve guides.
After figuring that out he goes, "Hey, I have a pair of pistons for that bike"

So I scored a pair of standard size pistons for about 30 USD. :)

Went to a local shop to see about valve guides.
After figuring that out he goes, "Hey, I have a pair of pistons for that bike"

So I scored a pair of standard size pistons for about 30 USD. :)
You can get some profit on those, good find!

I got my Speedhut gauge back, all setup for 10k RPM limit now! Thanks Speedhut!
Also ditched all my single bullet connectors for nice weather proof AMP 150 connectors. After the agony of disconnecting everything when I sent off my gauge, the switch had to be done. Not going through that again. Really cleans things up!

26306299822_76d47061ea_c.jpg

25795888823_31e910cc28_c.jpg

Received five different shipments of parts in the last couple of days.
New:
Viton butterfly shaft seals
Viton valve seals
2 standard piston ring sets
spark plugs
red spark plug wire
full gasket set
full motor seals set
full replacement mikuni jets
90 degree fuel filters
New handlebar grips

My motor rebuild is almost ready to commence! Just need to figure out this valve guide replacement.

Went for a nice ride today. It was a bit cold when I left home at 8:30am, 4C (39F), but I was all bundled up and had the heated grips on high so I was comfortable. Rode everything from highways to double track trails, pavement to sand, dry and dusty gravel to axle deep muddy water. Arrived home around 6pm with 420km (261mi) on the trip odometer and spent over an hour washing the mud and dust off of me and the bike. There are a couple new dents in the engine guard, and I should be cleaning the UNI filters properly, but nothing unusual or unexpected.

I was able to keep up with, or catch-up to, a KTM 500 enduro on knobbies and a BMW 1150 GS-A with aggressive tires. Even in the technical stuff, much to our mutual surprise. I did spend a lot of time with the throttle wide open and close to the redline though. :yikes: The Kenda rear tire was definitely way out of it's element, yet it didn't leave me stuck. It didn't even complain on the wet rocks when we crossed a river, though it was dancing on the gravel roads at 110kph (68mph) in an uncomfortable fashion. Still, it is a street tire that performed well off road and is good on road, so I can't complain.

All in all, it was a good XS400 day. :bike:

Back