What did you do with your XS today?

yes, this is very fixable and frankly, just has to be done sooner or later.

That is the classic stator break in wiring. I had to do mine last weekend.

Go to a boating supply place if there's one nearby and buy yourself about 8 feet of marine grade tinned wiring. 18 gauge is fine. I got 16 and it was much thicker than what I was trying to replace.

That sheathing is fine to remove, it's standard rubber wiring beneath. The fiberglass around it is to keep it from moving due to vibration. Trim it back and expose enough rubber wire so that you can solder it and not end up with the joint in that rubber tunnel when you're done. if you solder the wires end to end, don't do it in a straight line. Do it at like a 45 degree angle because the wire has to bend up towards the rubber tunnel piece and then slide thru. Overly tinning the wire before soldering and then trying to bend it later to fit inside will be a pain. If you don't over heat/ over tin before you solder the wire will be more flexible. Remember it has to deflect out of the way of the rotor by the time you're done.

Just ordered these
full

Counted the teeth on the rear sprocket (35). Couldn't count the front as the Phillips screwing down the cover wouldn't budge. Don't want to strip the heads so am going to buy some PB Blaster first.

Joshua are those plug and play? or do you have to rig things up?

I'd say I'll have to fab up some mounts off the frame and a bit of setting up for the linkages. I've got an old (new) trailbike gear lever that fits the XS that is steel, not cast. So I'll use that. Maybe a bit of messing around but I think it will be well worth it.

Built a DIY manometer and tried to sync the carbs mo bettah than I did "by ear" noticed one side was making little to no difference. Decided it was time to pull the carbs again and see what he damage was.
Noticed the needles are different sizes. One's shorter than the other and tapered weird - figured that someone cranked it down too far and broke it, so I went looking for the tip.

Found this:

It appears that someone drilled this out and then tried to re-size the hole with some kind of adhesive :banghead:

That one's never going to sync...damn...

rebuilt my uncles lincoln 225 arc welder so I can weld on my frame a bit. Still need a new plug for the extension cord, Home depot.

Went for a brisk ride to the hardware store for fasteners for the saddlebags. It was so windy that at one point I felt like I had to lean at a 20 degree angle just to stay upright!

Got the rear fender install completed now that the paint dried. Once I complete the rear end, I can position the the bike to rebuild the front end.

Also got a little more Bondo work on the tank.

Attachments

• DSC_0239.jpg
    DSC_0239.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC_0236.JPG
    DSC_0236.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 255
  • tank14.JPG
    tank14.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 265
  • tank15.JPG
    tank15.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Rode her to work...75-80MPH all the way! Alot of the boys rode today as it was a nice day.On the ride home I took Santiago Canyon and opened her up a bit. Damn if the old dudes on big 'adventure' bikes didn't ride circles around me. Oh well they got experience and cc's on me:shrug:---:bike: hehehe God Bless 'em

Back